Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1886 Indian Head - Type II - This Is A Tough One!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 646Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Color looks original to me in hand.....this one could be tough!

What are your thoughts on the grade for this one?

Edited by RedRaider
01/18/2022 10:26 am
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please state your question(s) clearly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this has been cleaned and is now toning back. Too much evident wear to exhibit original luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1536 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning vs Wear can be difficult to differentiate. I'll get the ball rolling and call it wear, AU-58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All diamonds gone. Liberty bold but not sharp. I'll say VF-35, possibly EF-40 sharpness, but a details coin - cleaned.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/18/2022 11:09 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1536 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:36 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the color can be original. This just has a very weak strike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4030 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll blame the mushy/lack of details on some heavily worn dies. Color looks like it could be original. Can't tell if there is slight wear on the high points. I might be way off with AU58/MS62 and some tired dies. Interesting one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay.....I knew this one would be tough!

I personally grade this MS60RB. I can't go higher due to the unusually worn dies, but there are no marks to speak of. It definitely looks to be uncirculated though. The coin is much more red in hand and has the luster typically seen on mushy strikes.

This coin represents the most worn dies I have seen on anything I have in my collection. Kind of interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this on a large screen, you guys may be right. This weak a strike is certainly a first for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a first for me too. I have never seen such a mushy Indian Head cent. I have a 1857 FE that is similar, but not this noticeable.

I don't know how a TPG would handle this coin. One quick glance and they put a EF details on it. A deeper look and it could go MS. Also, the top feather tips look like the dies were rusty. All kinds of issues going on here.
Edited by RedRaider
01/19/2022 09:34 am
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would guess au-53
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11924 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if color is correct MS62RB weak strike or worn dies. I think its the later
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23407 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like strike issues to me. MS-62RB.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3901 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im in camp AU-58
Pillar of the Community
United States
659 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well NGC posted some grades yesterday and this got an MS63RB, probably overgraded. Its a peculiar coin, one that is maybe deserving of the elusive MS60RB grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most unusual Indian for sure. Not sure I'd want to pay 63 money for it, but it's a kind of rarity in its own right.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/07/2022 09:55 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: