Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strange Looking Coins/Tokens! Any Ideas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 429Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  3:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pat44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all,

I haven't been here for quiet a while, hope everyone is ok :)

What do you think of these very strange looking coins/tokens?

The first looks to be made of 22 carat gold:
2.5cm(about)
4.9g
1mm thick(about)

The second is made of bronze:
3.5cm(about)
25.1g

What do you guys think?

Edited by pat44
01/19/2022 05:12 am
Learn More...
Australia
14258 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The script on both appears to be Celtiberian (pre-Roman Spain). Other than that, I don't really know what they're supposed to be.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3900 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How did you acquire those objects? The first item in particular looks very suspicious in a "probably made by some modern joker" way, but the other two don't trip the same flags as much.

Never seen anything remotely similar but I'm not familiar with Celtiberian stuff in the first place.
Learn More...
United States
23203 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else find it odd that all of the design features on these pieces are incuse, either scratched or punched? My vote is that the two gold-colored ones are of modern origin and the bronze one is a slick from the Byzantine empire that someone has counterpunched to make it more interesteing.

Or maybe I am just being cynical this evening?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5390 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone else find it odd that all of the design features on these pieces are incuse

Absolutely agree.
The first one is trying to be a Carolingian temple denier on one side. The other side looks like gobbeldygook. Not aware that design was used on anything gold (which I suspect may turn out to be brass).
Edited by tdziemia
01/18/2022 8:17 pm
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pat44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, thank you all for your help!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3900 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and the bronze one is a slick from the Byzantine empire that someone has counterpunched to make it more interesteing
...hadn't thought of this option but it would explain a lot.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pat44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
january1may, someone asked my opinion about them, I do not own them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 429Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: