Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Last USA Penny 2022/2023. What Now?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,346Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  07:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is the US mints last penny 2022 or 2023?
I read there will be a penny collection by mints for melting.
Proceeds go to government debt elimination. Is all this true?
If so, should we be hoarding or eliminating our personal pennies?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a shame but true. The Penny is a waste and soon to be abandoned.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How soon remains the question.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a waste going on 20 to 40 years depending on your metric.

I long for a day when the cent is only available in proof and uncirculated mint sets using the original bronze composition.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17200 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I long for a day when the cent is only available in proof and uncirculated mint sets using the original bronze composition.

I like the thought of proof only 95% copper Lincolns but not in Uncirculated Mint Sets .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the thought of proof only 95% copper Lincolns but not in Uncirculated Mint Sets .
My album holes respectfully disagree.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Untrue. The origin of that story is an April Fools joke.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree JBuck, with a 100% copper version for the proof set. I've felt, and replied to many similar "end the cent" posts, that the denomination will not cease to be struck, just not for general circulation. Happened with the Kennedy half.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubt it will ever happen. When retailers play the game of .99 it makes your mind think of the lower number rather than the higher number (ie: $5.99 leaves the impression of $5 rather than $6) As long as retailers use this sales gimmick, there will be the need for the one cent coin unless everything goes to digital or plastic only. I rue the day when bitcoin or credit card states "for all debts public and private" and eliminate I.G.W.T. and LIBERTY.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, the cent can physically go away and still exist digitally for the vast majority of transactions that are done without cash. Rouding works for cash.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17200 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% Copper is nothing but a fantasy . It won't happen IMHO

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it would be 95% copper and sold at a premium just like we had in 2009.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soon to be extinct, it is fascinating to me that the penny gets a lot of love with collectors. Just look at some of values based on varieties etc.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no plans to stop manufacturing the US Cent.

The reports are bunk, hogwash, hooey.

-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: