Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Last USA Penny 2022/2023. What Now?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,331Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've yet to see any 2022 coins, congrats on that find Ham and Egger.

But yeah, at least for the past 15 years there have been discussions about ending the cent. It will end when the two parties merge into each other, a.k.a. never.
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are no plans to stop manufacturing the US Cent. The reports are bunk, hogwash, hooey.

Quote:
But yeah, at least for the past 15 years there have been discussions about ending the cent. It will end when the two parties merge into each other, a.k.a. never.
It might end after the last boomer is laid to rest.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well this boomer has not been laid to rest and neither will the one cent coin. Billions are being struck each year and the zinc industry is not about to let that cash cow die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1667 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the nickel is a bigger waste of money than the cent so if they abolish the cent, the nickel is surely going to go right along with it for the same exact reasoning. or they start making the nickel out of copper plated zinc....

any way I look at it, it's just never going to happen, they would more likely change the composition, I think when I last looked it up, if they made a steel core and plated it with copper, just replacing the zinc for steel, but not galvanizing the sheet like they did for the steel pennies, they could come down to below the face value for the cost.
Also I think they could do the same thing for the nickel, and plate steel with cupronickel and bring that back down into a winner.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if they made a steel core and plated it with copper, just replacing the zinc for steel,

Well that's when I will stop collecting Lincoln Cents .
So instead of zinc rot we'll have rust rot .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well this boomer has not been laid to rest and neither will the one cent coin. Billions are being struck each year and the zinc industry is not about to let that cash cow die.
I rest my case!

Quote:
the nickel is a bigger waste of money than the cent so if they abolish the cent, the nickel is surely going to go right along with it for the same exact reasoning. or they start making the nickel out of copper plated zinc....
Unlike the cent, the nickel can be saved by a materials change. Nickel plated steel or... (gasp) zinc... would work, vending machines not being considered.

Quote:
any way I look at it, it's just never going to happen, they would more likely change the composition...
Cannot happen. Even if the Jarden gave the US Mint the copper planted blanks for FREE, the cent will still cost more than a cent to strike and distribute. The USS Changing Materials ship has long sailed and continued inflation puts it further out to sea.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really looking forward to resurrecting this thread (and all the others) next year, the year after, etc.
Edited by ijn1944
01/24/2022 3:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really looking forward to resurrecting this thread (and all the others) next year, the year after, etc.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17687 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that the denomination will not cease to be struck, just not for general circulation. Happened with the Kennedy half.

And the NA dollar, and the President dollar, and the Innovation dollar, but they haven't put the innovation dollar in the mint or proof sets.

Quote:
When retailers play the game of .99 it makes your mind think of the lower number rather than the higher number (ie: $5.99 leaves the impression of $5 rather than $6) As long as retailers use this sales gimmick, there will be the need for the one cent coin

Discontinuing the cent doesn't mean you have to give up that pricing scheme. With a 7% sales tax it gets priced at $5.99, rung up as $5.99 42 cents tax is applied and then it rounds to $6.40. Since it rounds to the nearest .05 the final total will always end in 0 or 5 no matter what the starting price is. So you can still use that psychological pricing.

Quote:
I think when I last looked it up, if they made a steel core and plated it with copper, just replacing the zinc for steel, but not galvanizing the sheet like they did for the steel pennies, they could come down to below the face value for the cost.

It would keep the metal cost below 1 cent, but once you add in the fabrication cost the total is still over one cent apiece. The fabrication costs by themselves are over one cent apiece. So even if the material is FREE it is still a losing proposition.

Quote:
Also I think they could do the same thing for the nickel, and plate steel with cupronickel and bring that back down into a winner.

They have been studying that possibility for over ten years now. The coins don't strike up well, die life is greatly reduced, and every vending machine in the country would need to be retooled and they want to avoid that. They want a material that can be introduced "seamlessly", so that any needed changes would be minimal.

Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
912 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the cents will remain pretty much as they are until coins as a whole are obsolete.

With that said I still remain convinced the most practical solution are a dime, half dollar, dollar and 2 dollar coins, right sized and shaped.

Getting rid of the 5-cent coin eliminates the need for a quarter and makes it too hard to keep anyway.
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can get on board with that idea.

It will never pass, but a man can dream (and that is a start).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why don't we just do away with all coins known to Mankind and start collecting marbles .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should bring back the Half Cent...
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why don't we just do away with all coins known to Mankind and start collecting marbles .
I still have two huge jars of them from my youth.

Quote:
I think we should bring back the Half Cent...

Also, note how people still collect Half Cents even though they no longer mint them. Same will go for the cent and nickel, especially if they become NIFC.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7371 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That won't work well for me - I lost my marbles long ago.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 2,331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: