Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Eagle Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 637Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up today. Thoughts on sending in for grading? Weight is 31.1 grams. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First one I've seen, nice chunk of silver!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know it's from an ASE? Lots of private mints have 1 oz .999 fine planchets like that.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrBreeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good question. I have purchased from this local seller before and have a level of trust with them. I have seen a few of them graded by TPG services, that might be the only way to know for sure?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19570 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, -
I guess it may? be a silver round planchet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would take it to a local dealer for authentication first. I've seen these in slabs, too, but I would think an actual grade is of little value? If mine and I wanted TPG authentication, I would use ANACS
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would take it to a local dealer for authentication first. I've seen these in slabs, too, but I would think an actual grade is of little value? If mine and I wanted TPG authentication, I would use ANACS

To follow-up on this thought and for some background information, check out:

- A Very Weakly Struck Modern US Commemorative Silver Dollar.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4974 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your going to grade a round piece of silver?

I've seen it all now.

I think I have a dead cricket here someplace I should send in also.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19570 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To submit is more about authentication than grading.
Learn More...
United States
112116 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7518 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I have a dead cricket here someplace I should send in also.

It wouldn't be the first cricket to be encapsulated:

- A Cricket Hopped Into the Grading Room.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/21/2022 3:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3127 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what You choose, Don't let the peanut gallery dictate to Anyone...... I collect these too. Many are NOT available, ENJOY
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11476 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It wouldn't be the first cricket to be encapsulated:

Pillar of the Community
United States
8056 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being legitimate here. Not criticizing anyone for wanting a slab or not.

How can anyone tell if this is a legit Silver Eagle planchet. I know a bit about the NORFED dollars that were made. The man behind the NORFED dollars got his planchets from the same exact place that made the planchets for US Silver Eagles. His planchets and the Eagle planchets were identical in every way.

So is a slabbed planchet from a TPG indicating the planchet has the same specs as a legit silver Eagle planchet?

Or is a slabbed planchet perhaps another one of the TPG marketing (gimmicky-ish) ways of making money by slabbing something (like "First Strike" or different colored labels)?

Or...could this be an area the TPGs will slab for but have no real expertise in?
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1667 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2022  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think if they slab it as "no date", "blank" "silver Eagle Size", .999, weight and diameter, maybe type II
What does it matter if it came from the mint in a box of eagles, or from the blank supplier, or a different country?

It is what it is, a blank. if it's worth the grading fee to you go for it, if it's worth it at a premium to someone else, double go for it. You can buy them on etsy or ebay for about $46.00 or so, with or without upset rims.

Just my opinion, doesn't look right to me for what the mint would use or would even get, they come polished from the supplier, it looks right for the ones they sell on ebay and etsy though.

yZ1eSSZFdEY
Edited by Big-Kingdom
02/10/2022 12:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19570 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a silver plated planchet or a solid silver planchet.
Either way XRF won't help in this case with authentication.

If it turns out to be solid pure silver, the silver value still not high enough to justify the authentication and grading fees.
Continue with the investigation, so long as the costs of authentication are low enough, (weight, diameter, thickness, specific gravity, ping tone etc.)

Then,
just keep it as a curio, for folks like us to hypothesize over. No matter what, I find it to be an interesting piece.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 637Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: