Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Flying Eagle Cent DDO/RPD - DDO-006, Snow 10, FS-103

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 919Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4625 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  12:59 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just going by the CherryPickers' Guide for attribution numbers, but I think some of their numbering is hinky for this year so not sure this is labeled correctly.

My real question is whether or not a coin in this condition would grade straight. It's nice enough that I'm not worried about exactly what number grade it would get, but it can be a bit of a waste of money to get a details grade. Any comments on the coin are welcome.

1857 Flying Eagle cent DDO/RPD - DDO-006, Snow 10, FS-103

Pillar of the Community
United States
869 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a fine old coin. If it were mine I'd spend the money to slab it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71779 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe it would straight-grade. Might be a good candidate for Verdi-Care.
Learn More...
United States
116401 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might get a straight grade, but my initial reaction is the surfaces look too grainy, indicating some slight porosity. These CNs are tough.....might go either way here on different days of the week.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4625 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great comments! Sounds like it has at least an even chance of grading straight, so I'll take those odds and send it in. But still not sure it actually makes financial sense. If it goes EF40 it will be POP 2/10, which is a pretty rare area for variety coins. Yet the other EF40 coin sold about six months ago for $132, or about the average price of a normal coin graded at that level. Go figure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71779 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would bet heavily on a straight grade of EF-45.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4625 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that it now takes many months to get anything back from PCGS, you will have to wait to find out if you were right. But I try to update posts when I do get things back. I'd be pleased if it goes EF-45.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5813 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I'm going to be against the rest of you here but I'm thinking this will come back details for environmental damage. Surfaces don't look good enough to me to warrant a straight grade. Super cool variety though, not often seen.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4229 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find. I keep bouncing between straight and details, but I'll have to go with my first instinct and say XF details, ED. Regardless, it has eye appeal
Pillar of the Community
United States
4988 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love classic coins and this one in my opinion would AND should grade straight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4625 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quick update. I don't have this one back yet but grade came in XF details - environmental damage. I'm not thrilled with that by at least one poster here called it exactly that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71779 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad, but still a great-looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8968 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cherrypick! I too am torn between what grade this would get straight or details (light porosity/corrosion). It's a tough one either way.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
5813 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a shame about the details grade. Still, it has great eye appeal IMO and it's a very scarce variety.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 919Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: