Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1819/8 50c Capped Bust Half Dollar - Overton 104

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 316Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
9086 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  11:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is another one that I bid on but didn't win. I bid a little over $700 and it sold for $781. There were three bidders who bid higher than I did. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the boldness of the stars and date are telling me the obverse is a weak strike. bold reverse lettering, neck, shield and you can even see the veins on the leaves. I think it could go as high as AU55. looks all original
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2856 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see why you took a shot at this one. It has good eye appeal for the grade, and that reverse strike is sharp.

I'm a bit lower on the grade here. I see the obverse at AU-50 and the reverse at a solid AU-53. At the sale price, it would have been a tough gamble, a decent gain at 53, but under water at 50. The knock on the cheek might have been enough to tip the grading to the lower end, and come in at 50. At your bid, the gamble was decent. At the sale price, the downside outweighed the potential gain.

IMHO, you did well all around, with your bid and by avoiding the frenzy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3628 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an original AU50/53 on obverse and AU55 on reverse. I am at AU53. The strong bidding on the example does not surprise me as the overall market is a crazy with strong bidding.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have anymore to add that hasn't been said. AU50 obverse, AU53 reverse. Could go either way in hand. Nice example.

Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this one would be 53. As other have said the reverse is the nicer side.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23942 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice AU-53 with great eye appeal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 316Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: