Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1919 S Sl50c - Guess The Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 711Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  05:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Be careful on this one. The color for the obverse is the same as the reverse: lighting matter.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69088 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you enlarge those images for us? Kinda hard to see surface details clearly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17494 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on the photo ; It's big enough for me . MS-66 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3632 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12241 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a little out of focus. best guess MS64 maybe a +
Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1221 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65
Pillar of the Community
United States
8827 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an MS65 all day long in my eyes.

I don't see it higher than that as the strike could be much stronger, but it's lustrous and relatively mark free I don't think it makes MS66 but it definitely has aspirations there. It's a big value jump from 64 to 65 and a huge leap to 66.

For an early date (1919) it's very nice IMO.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19706 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of little dings on Lib's left leg.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3854 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
940 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2022  05:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
What a beauty!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2022  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From pictures, MS-65.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2871 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos are a bit out of focus and have too much glare, especially the reverse pic.

LMDS obverse, EMDS reverse, slightly soft strike. Minor dings on Liberty's left arm and leg, on the sun, and in the field above the motto. The reverse fields are largely concealed by the glare, but do not show any evident contacts that would suggest a widely split grade. I can't see any evidence of circulation. Overall, pretty much a classic Gem BU. It doesn't have the blotchy toning that so many of the early UNCs have, and the eye appeal is solid. Solid MS-65. That's a pretty rare bird for a 1919-S.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...hard to see surface details clearly

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, for the moment of truth that will probably surprize many:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the reasons I wanted to send this back to PCGS was because no PCGS-taken photo is on file. My limited home photography setup obviously makes the true surfaces more more difficult to portray.

The seller strongly felt that this coin should qualify for a bump to a 65+. But I must factor in grading, shipping and insurance costs roundtrip etc.

The other issue is that The Greysheet does not provide pricing for plus grades. So, where do I find CAC+ prices for this coin so as to justify the 'potential' incremental increase in value that may not even happen vs the additional related costs incurred no matter what...?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 711Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: