Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 S George Washington Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 396Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
98 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  05:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add elliottite to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. My first uncirculated coin. I was given this coin by a friend and wondering if it is worthy to be sent off and graded. I know it is not favored to post pics in holders. But I think this holder has to be broken to open it. Didn't want to do that yet. I can assure you that none of the scratches or smudges are on the coin. Only on the holder. Thank you.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15238 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a Commemorative half dollar 90% silver.
Right know APMEX are selling them for $28.00 so it
would not be worth the cost of getting it graded.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7792 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My first uncirculated coin.

Congrats on the new addition to your collection! It appears to be a nice example (no need to have it graded, however).

To help you learn, I wanted to point out that you have a Proof version of the coin vs. what is typically referred to as an Uncirculated or Mint State example.

Standard Proof coins generally have frosted devices and mirror-like fields (as seen on your coin).

Also, you'll notice a small "S" at the 3:30 clock position near the rim. It represents the fact that the coin was struck at the San Francisco Mint. In 1982, the San Francisco Mint struck only Proof examples of the Washington half dollar; the Denver Mint ("D") struck Uncirculated coins.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/29/2022 08:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69007 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, save your money.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45167 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a proof. They also made them in MS. Only worth the silver content. I remember a few years back I tried to sell some to my LCS and to a pawn shop and neither wanted them for anything other than melt value. In fact, the coin shop didn't want to bother at all.Mine also had the OGP.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7813 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example from your friend.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2022  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin that restarted it all, and not one to be graded. Virtually all the the modern commemoratives need not waste their time at the third party grading racket club.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9208 Posts
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2022  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin that restarted it all, and not one to be graded
I bought mine direct in 1982 and they eventually ended up in the 7070.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 396Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: