Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Nice Early Large Cent Needs Unbending

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 880Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  10:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Uzi9shooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought an 1848 large cent that was in a case. Not really a pretty coin. But the price was low and I figured that when I get my hands on a better one, I'll pass this one down to some kid who is just starting out collecting and has that desire for a coin in the 100+year range. Anyways, it has a bit of a bend the seller forgot to tell me about and the case hide too well. So how would you go about flattening the coin without further damage?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much you can do. I would leave it as is.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
888 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would return it to the seller.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7925 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF.

Agreed - it's damaged beyond repair.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70322 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, can't unbend a large cent.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7313 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never tried this, but always wanted to. Put it between 2 pieces of wood, and clamp down on it gradually with a vice or a clamp or something. Nothing to lose on a cheap bent cent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7925 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ edweather - I realize your idea sounds appealing but the physics of materials science will not support your approach.

The modulus of elasticity (think stiffness) of copper is way larger than wood and what you are going to achieve is dents in the wood with no noticeable change in the cents shape.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17765 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Well besides slamming it with a sledge hammer against a concrete pavement I would seriously try putting the coin between two thick pieces of rubber and just keep hitting it with a medium size hammer softly until you get desired flatness .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the 'dinger' to remedy the abnormality.

'Ding it with the dinger' to find big money from junk coins

http://goccf.com/t/421724
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17735 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wood method might work, but not with a vise. And you willneed a fairly dense wood such as oak. You will need two pieces of oak and a sledge hammer. Put it between the pieces of wood and hit it HARD with the sledge. As nickelsearcher said it is going to dent the wood but it should also take a little of the bend out of the coin. You will probably have to do this multiple times and move the coin to a different undented location of the wood between each blow.

The vise doesn't work because it give the wood too much time to conform to the surface of the coin and to accept the denting. You are trying for the sudden transfer of energy to the coin before the wood has a chance to deform.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
05/11/2022 5:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70322 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My ignorance on this erudite topic is obvious.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uzi9shooter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't return it and probably should have known better. I went back there a few days later to look at a gun (it's a coin and gun shop). The guy showed me an early cent. I asked him what happened to the date on it (it was missing). He tried to tell me that before the 1800's they didn't put dates on coins. I hightailed it out of there before the bs became so deep that I'd drowned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70322 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you. What a load.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4041 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The wood method might work, but not with a vise.

.... Put the coin between two small oak blocks and take it to a nearby truck stop. Then, see if some drivers will run over it at the pumps. Heavy construction vehicles might work, too, but the base would best be concrete, methinks. If at first, you don't succeed, just keep on truckin'

BTW, to the CCF
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3224 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...before the 1800's they didn't put dates on coins.

I'd nail this guy to the wall by submitting an anonymous claim to the BBB to keep you out of the mix. I would not mention the exact denomination but would wait a couple of weeks to blur your connection with this incident.

Pleading ignorance would be a non-starter for this guy just because of the type of business he routinely deals in. Just imagine how many numismatic neophytes he must have already taken to the cleaners?

For the benefit of this exclusory hobby this would be your numismatic 'Do a good turn daily' like the Boy Scouts have as their slogan etc.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19851 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have straightened a few bent coins, but evidence always remains of the bent area even for modern bronze coins.
A 'comments' would be "bent", or if flattened, it would be "bent and later flattened".

I have used two thin plastic sheets with coin between in a vise, mostly used for European hammered silver coins.
However, there is a risk: due the possibility of silver crystallisation. the coin may snap into two or more pieces
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 880Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: