Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Some Advice - Cleaning & Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 654Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  06:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have some coins that I would like to get cleaned and possibly graded but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. Can someone please point me in the right direction.? Any and all pertinent advice is welcomed

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's usually not a good practice to clean coins prior to submission to a reputable third party grading service. As one would expect, there's some debate over what is and is not cleaning.

Before going that far, suggest posting some photos of your more interesting/noteworthy coins--one coin per discussion thread/topic. Images should be full, large and sharp. With pics, we in the community can give you the most sound advice on a coin-by-coin basis.
Learn More...
United States
23689 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend doing everything that @ijn just said.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45110 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TPG's offer professional conservation on coins for an additional charge. You first need to figure out what the coins value will be once conserved and slabbed. As a general rule a coin needs a retail value after slabbing of $100-$150 and that does not include the extra charge for conserving. Best to post some good photos of what you want slabbed for us to see and give our opinions.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68843 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice from all. How about some pics?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20695 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't clean those coins. And as a general rule it will not pay to have them graded.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9006 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love to see pictures of your coins. But Ijn and John1 said it best, do NOT clean the coins yourself - you can ruin and intrinsic value the coins may hold as they are right now. PCGS, NGC, and ANACS offer professional conservation that will preserve your coins without destroying them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5115 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What everyone above said. If the coins are "dirty" and if they have value, best would be to send them to Anacs and pay the flat conservation fee for all of them. They will all get "conversed" and you'll have a none details coin.

Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interested to see photos of the coins in question.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1220 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
764 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not clean your coins, especially if you are new to this business. Collectors don't like cleaned coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12207 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

do not clean any coin. I suggest watching this video which was recently posted in this forum

http://goccf.com/t/421170

Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the list of those who think you shouldn't clean your coins.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justlizw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought a membership with NGC and this 1976 Ike dollar[type 2] and my Washington(1st issue)dollars-position A & B hopefully will be a good start. I know that they aren't worth much but the experience will be worth its weight in gold. And no worries, I learned not to clean coins back in the 80's from the big boys(my 1st coin show) thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surprised there weren't any responses to this after you posted pictures, but I'll chime in. Most people set a minimum value that a coin must be worth in order to make it worthwhile to pay for the certification. For some, that's $100, and for others, $200 or more. Most likely, the cost of certification will be more than the value of these coins ( NGC '76 Ike at MS65 is probably a $25 coin and the Washingtons are less), so you are probably better off just saving them in your album or however you keep your coins.
Now of course there are other reasons that some people get their coins certified. Perhaps it is a special sentimental piece that you want to conserve even though it isn't worth a lot. Or, some people want an entire set/collection that is all certified for aesthetics or to compete in a registry. However, in terms of a value proposition, it isn't worth getting these coins graded. Just my 2 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
764 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will also insert my 5 kopecks.

captaincoffee,right. It will be cheaper for you to buy these coins already certified. Sending them to NGC will take you a lot of time and money, and each of your coins will cost you a very tidy sum in total. So keep these coins raw. In the future you will still find coins that you want to evaluate, just be patient.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 654Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: