Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

TPG Grade Question, Particularily PCGS Online Grades

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I realize that any online or printed guide is only a retail baseline and few coins sell right at retail. But what I've wondered about and never had a satisfactory answer for is are these prices printed in the online PCGS coin price guide meant for only their own slabbed and graded coins, or for any coin raw or slabbed by another service.

To put it plainly and as an example, currently the PCGS price guide says an AU-55 1886 Morgan dollar is worth at retail $57. So if I buy a raw 1886 Morgan, and it looks like an AU 55, and I post it here and the general consensus is that it indeed looks to be AU-55, is PCGS saying that the retail value is $57, or are they saying it's worth $57 if I send PCGS $45 or so to have them grade and slab it for me as an AU-55. So what's the answer folks?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i was always under the impression that PCGS pricelist was listing retail priced for PCGS slabbed coins. using your example of an 1886 AU55 morgan, PCGS lists it at $57 whereas Numismedia lists it at $46. I'm assuming the difference is you are paying for a "Professionally" coin vs a raw coin

Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panzaldi ........... I'm not so sure your understanding holds water either. Actually Numismedia is $49 not $46, and NGC is at $50. Since NGC also grades and slabs coins, they are almost identical to Numismedia that doesn't slab their own coins. So they couldn't possibly think that a coin in their holder is only worth another buck over raw.

If you look at this same 1886 in XF-40 grade they are almost the same. Numismedia at $46, PCGS at $47 and the difference in the AU-55 is just a different opinion as the the present value. I'm leaning towards the retail values they post are for any coin raw or graded and the slight differences are just judgement calls but not because a coin has been professionally graded. But I wish somebody that really knew would chime in on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS states that their price guide pertains to PCGS-graded coins. The market shows that pricing for raw coins is lower, presumably because there is less certainty of the grade and any potential problems with the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well then it looks like my presumption was wrong, and both Zurie and Panzaldi were correct. I assumed backwards thinking since Numismedia didn't slab or grade coins, that there prices were for raw as well as graded, but reading what Zurie and Panzaldi said, and now reading NGC's own disclaimer, it appears that when Numismedia grades a coin, they are also pricing for graded coins.

Here is what I just read at NGC ..............
Quote:
The NGC US Coin Price Guide shows average dealer retail prices based on actual, documented transactions and other information reported by collectors, dealers and auction houses for NGC-certified coins.

And I haven't yet read the PCGS disclaimer but assume it will be pretty much the same.

Well that all makes sense looking at it this way. Raw is whatever the buyer and seller thinks it is and both sale and purchase prices will reflect that.

Thanks you two for sharing your knowledge.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are the screen swipes from PCGS and Numismedia. I misread the Numismedia price but the PCGS is about 16% more with Numismedia at $49 and PCGS at $57 which has to take into consideration that it was slabbed by them

PCGS

Numismedia

Pillar of the Community
United States
5535 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want more realistic retail values, check eBay's Sold Coins.

The Greysheet will be more realistic too; they have it listed at about $44.
Of course that's raw and slabbing would cost about double that price.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: