Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

S. Severus Mart Victor Ric IV 406A

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
227 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  11:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Dear friends,
I want to share the latest purchase of S. Severus Denarius Emesa Mint
RIC IV 406a; BMCRE 378 note; RSC 324c.
I found only two speciments in OCRE. http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric....406A?lang=en
Obverse IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II- Head of Septimius Severus, laureate, right
Reverse: MART VICTOR. Mars, helmeted, naked except for cloak tied round waist, advancing right, holding transverse spear in right hand and trophy over left shoulder in left hand.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good find. I have a real soft spot for these Mars types.

Here is my RIC 406A - MART VICTOR

Here is a RIC 405 - COS II - MARTI VICT

Some unlisted variations -

COS II - MARTI VICTO

COS II - MARTI VICTOR

COS II - MART VICT

There are some odd - shortened obverse legend variations which also occur with the reverse type.

IMP CA L SE SEV PER AG COS II - MARTI VICTORI

IMP CA L SE SEV PER AVG COS II - MARTI VICTORI

Also occurs COS I - MARTI VICT

and AVG II C - MARTI VICT (different reverse dies)

COS II also has a different, unpublished Mars type -

MART VICTOR, Mars, in military attire, standing left, holding Victory and spear

Valued Member
France
227 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@maridvnvm-Excellent collection. I love your coins!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1876 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My RIC 406A illustrated above is from the same obverse die as one of the examples in the BM. I would have missed that if not for this post so Thank you.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/colle...1997-1203-95

I strongly suspect that their other example is in fact MARTI VICTOR. I will need to search for a die match to confirm but the placement would be very similar to my MARTI VICTOR above.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
461 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a real soft spot for these Mars types.

You're not kidding! You could write the reference with those coins.

Mars strutting with a trophy over his shoulder seems to have been a very long-lived reverse. I have none with Septimius Severus but there are nearly 300 years of them...

Marcus Aurelius Denarius, 173-174

Rome. Silver, 18mm, 3g. Marcus Aurelius, laureate, right, draped; M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVIII. Mars walking right, holding spear in his right hand and trophy over his left shoulder, IMP VI COS III (RIC III 286).

Probus Antoninianus, 277

Lugdunum. Bronze, 24mm, 4.2g. IMP C PROBVS P F AVG. Mars walking right, holding spear and trophy, MARS VICTOR / II (RIC 38).
Ex Pamphill Hoard 2011.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: