Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Makes Up Your "Essential" Colonial Type Set

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,004Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19682 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just jump on any early pre 1794 numismatic Americana.
All of it is of high numismatic interest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1286 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a personal view point, not to mention historical, mine would have a 1688 American Plantation token (the first Royal issued coin for the colonies based at 1/24 of a Spanish reale) and a Spanish milled Pillar Dollar. Granted, the argument will be made that these do not fall under the colonial definition, yet I'd counter on their importance to the colonies in commerce. Either way, they would surely compliment any colonial type set.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
05/19/2022 11:30 pm
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I collect "colonial" as anything that would have been used in the pre-US eras by our founding citizens. Not necessarily struck in the colonies or even N.America.
Such as Spanish, British, French, Dutch, German,and other nations trading there.
I'm not a purist in that sense,but if Washington was alive to spend it-it goes into my colonial album. Satisfies me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9068 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally, I collect "colonial" as anything that would have been used in the pre-US eras by our founding citizens. Not necessarily struck in the colonies or even N.America.
Such as Spanish, British, French, Dutch, German,and other nations trading there.
I'm not a purist in that sense,but if Washington was alive to spend it-it goes into my colonial album. Satisfies me.

Personally you can do whatever you want. We live in a free country.

I can say that I collect "U.S. Civil War" coins and include all of the coins minted when Lincoln was alive. That would be 1809-1865. So therefore, if I had a 1809 bust half it would be a U.S. Civil War coin. That would be my choice but it's still logical nonsense.

We can further extend this logic and say that all my Lincoln cents are also U.S. Civil War coins because they all carry images of Lincoln and he was Prez when we fought the Civil War.

We can say all my Washington quarters are colonials because Washington was born in colonial Virginia.

We can even forego any tenuous link and say that my Kennedy halves are all colonial coppers. Because freedom.

Why not?

Mainly because when we call out a period in coin collecting, most people take that to mean that we are referring to the period when that coin was minted or struck (in the absence of a mint). But we live in a free country and you are always free to organize your collection in whatever way you want.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
05/21/2022 01:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
764 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be interesting to develop this topic further, because I always get confused when opening the "colonial coins" section. And sometimes these are issues of European countries and for me personally it is not clear whether they are related to the USA or the seller just wrote in order to increase the reach of the audience.

What coins do you think are worth studying the colonial period from ?
Edited by Slerk
05/21/2022 01:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9068 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what coins are worth studying in the colonial period. People will have different interests and motivations. I just think it's ridiculous for me to tell everybody that I am driving a ferrari when I am putting about in a pinto. Let's call things what they are is my take. Others will have different opinions.
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol@the insults to me and others. Please just be cool with your lessons, we're all numismatist students here to learn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2193 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one of those things to argue about I guess. PCGS puts "French Colonies" under Colonials in their price guide, like the 1670 5 sol, because they were "intended for circulation" here, despite being minted in Paris. So we can discuss ways to define "intended for" too I suppose. I don't collect any of them but it's educational to see how others define "colonial."
Pillar of the Community
United States
9068 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lol@the insults to me and others.

I disagree that I've insulted anyone here. I stated that everyone has a right to collect coins in whichever manner they wish. Then I expressed my thoughts on why calling a coin that was minted when the colonial period in the U.S. no longer existed a "colonial" made no logical sense. You can disagree with my position but it seems like you are more concerned about feeling slighted from insults I never hurled than arguing your position. This is a discussion board where we discuss things and share our thoughts. Don't take this as an insult.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't trying to redefine the term. Just saying how I sort my modest collection. I think you were reading things I didn't write. I will need to toughen up to your more abrasive writing style. I do see though,the difference between colonial and US issue. I obviously have a lot of learning and collecting to do before I can expand my few album classifications. Your knowledge is impressive on every topic I have seen so far,so I appreciate the reading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
890 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect what you like! It just isn't cut and dried. I have some coins that are generally collected as "colonials' that really have no connection. The London Elephant token for instance, no connection with the colonies but long included in the guide books, and I just like them so I have one. Another are the Washington pieces, most of these were minted long after, probably into the 1820's but are generally included in the guide books. They are too late to be of much interest to me, but to each his own. Learn as much as you can about the coins and have fun!
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The colonies ceased to exist on July 4, 1776 - the day when we mark the birth of our nation. 1791, there definitely were no colonies around by that date.

I wasn't going to say anything but now I see other members feeling insulted too, yeah, so being 'educated' on a fact known to every 3rd grader in the country ... c'mon.

That said, glad to see my old thread revived, and great new ideas. It can go in so many directions, I have my 'big 4' state coppers, next batch will be 'pre-Mint candidates for federal currency' (fugio, nova, washington), other avenues to explore later down the line.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9068 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stating a fact is not an insult. How you feel when you hear a fact is also not an insult. I am not trying to "educate" you. I am stating relevant facts and using logical reasoning to support a position that may be different than yours. Again, you are entitled to believe whatever you want.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3934 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Previous discussion. I mentioned at the time the use of "pre-federal" for what is commonly known as "colonial" coinage, though apparently that term is also not without its problems.
I also mentioned that the "colonial" coins of Vermont were in fact minted (in 1786) when Vermont was (technically) an independent republic - neither a colony nor part of USA. That makes them particularly hard to classify.

For what it's worth, I have a type listed in Red Book as "colonial" - the so-called "mousquetaire" 30 deniers - that wasn't actually intended to circulate in North America, and might well have (almost) not circulated there at all. Apparently it's listed because of a misunderstanding.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LuckyPunk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Side: I think PCGS/PMG have "colonial currency" on their paper note labeling, up to 1786.
(between Treaty of Paris and Constitution draft)
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,004Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: