Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Numismatic BU The Term Used For PL Coins Post 1968?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  08:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't recall seeing a PL graded coin past 1967 so I was curiouser if this term is the new standard for PL uncirculated sets?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4348 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks okie that was a good read, but I always though PL coins had more polishing done then business strike, and some were struck up to twice making the minting process slightly different, at least for what I thought I know about pre68 coins. I haven't looked at enough examples but PL has a mirror field with older coins where as with new coins it's basically the exact same. So if new coins uncirculated or circulated are the exact same then how is it possible to determine a coin as uncirculated or MS? If there is no difference at all with list 68 uncirculated coins and business struck coins then thats kind of a huge grading flaw.

Edit:to me it seems like from 67 or higher grading with modern coins that it wouldn't grade MS67 or MS68 it would read numismatic BU MS67+? I still don't quite understand how they can differentiate between a high grade business strike and a high grade numismatic BU if they are essentially the same coin one just ha deled a little better.

With silver coinage isn't there a clear difference or is it the same thing? It's a really confusing concept even after reading all those opinions.
Edited by Wrekkdd
05/18/2022 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't recall seeing a PL graded coin past 1967
Here's one,401866154574
You'll find hundreds more on eBay if you look.
NBU is a term used only by ICCS to describe "PL" coins struck after a certain arbitrary date, I believe that currently it's 1976, but was different because I have an ICCS 1980 PL65 coin.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So was it ICCS that switched in 1981 to label PL as numismatic BU? And is there actually any difference between uncirculated stuck coins and business stuck coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor choice of words.
All coins are uncirculated when struck.
Yes up til 2010 there is a difference.
TPGs and experienced collectors can quite reliably tell the difference with the coin in hand.
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
05/18/2022 11:42 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And as for a difference in actual striking practice between a Pl and business strike coin is there a tell tale sign between one or the other? This was kinda my main focus is the difference between PL or not or whatever numismatic BU is.

Let's say I pulled a fresh 2022 quarter out if a circulation roll or bank uncirculated roll, is it automatically NBU? Or for example there is an NBU 68 graded 1987 cent from ICCS would that be the same price scale as a business strike or a PL? Or is everything so messed up here it's just a roll of the dice lol?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes up til 2010 there is a difference.

Your 2022 quarter is post 2010,... why do I bother replying ?
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't get the NBU lable, what the difference between an NBU ms 67 vs a generic grade ms 67.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why do I bother replying ?

If it's not worth your time then don't? I appreciate responses but don't need "burdening" comments. Also I don't get the post 2010 comment if there is coins from the 80s graded NBU. Can't figure out the difference so I ask. Read the articles and info posted and still don't get why the grade exists.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4348 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I read and Charlton (an older one, not a Vol 1), take look at what Charlton says about proof-like and specimen sets. They stopped PL in 1967. The P-L designation after that means that it describes the finish and nothing more, no extra strikes or special dies. It is an uncirc coin and can by called BU or MS or NBU, whatever you want. Until all the TPG's and publishers get their act together, confusion will continue to reign. Just forget the term P-L for anything after 1967/8.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3109 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks okie, so it's a worthless term added by the TPG.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1330 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One theory that I like is that it was created by pressure from key dealers to maintain their a ability to set higher prices for MS circulating coins rather than compete with a relatively cheap competitor (eg. RCM). With the added benefit of having collectors needing two coins instead of one.

I never underestimate the power of competition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4348 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will repeat 2 sentences that I put in one of my posts:

And collectors and Ebay vendors or auctioneers misuse the term daily for the benefit of nice-sounding words. Many people buy "words" and "numbers" rather than the coin since it makes them feel good.

So whatever word you want to attach to a bright and shiny coin with promise, be it business-strike, Unc, BU, MS(mint state), NBU or proof-like, have-atter after 1968. They'll all just look like they've never been in a pocket or till and look nice..
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: