Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB 1c Matte Proof?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  05:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a book of wheat pennies last year at auction and to my surprise there was a 1909 s vdb (I'm aware of all the counterfeits)because of that I would never buy one outside of a professional in person.

This 1909 vdb was also in there, and one similar, but that die marker on the reverse, and are those considered die scratches on the obverse in front of Lincoln? The die marker that is a bit questionable is the one under Liberty, I think it's there but my eyes are quite deceiving sometimes. Is there any other identifiers? I appreciate all the help?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5121 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a 1909 VDB, It's a common coin with millions minted. It's not a matte proof
Edited by hfjacinto
05/19/2022 09:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9859 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks mothing like a matte proof to me. I wouldn't even worry about die markers. It's a business strike 1909 VDB.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's in really nice condition though. It's worth a 2 by 2 at the very least.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68974 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not a matte proof.
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jakes Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to just be scratches on a business strike & not a matte proof.
I've only been collecting for a couple years (2017). Favorite Coin's are Standing Liberty quarters, Working on my type set: "knowledge is power" -Thomas Jefferson
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4648 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just a business strike but is a fairly clean example other than the scratches on the obverse. AU range I'd say.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ByfrostClover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry but I've always been taught to pay close attention to the die markers, are they important in identifying a coin or nah? And I'm aware there's no S lol I said the book had one in there, whether its the 09-s vdb is authentic , I have no clue, now to my understanding a coin can have the same die markers but only because they use that specific dye, my memory serves me right the 1883 Morgan was one where they used the branch mint die on business strikes, I want people to understand because sometimes even if you question somebody's reply people take it as an insult and in no way do I mean it like that I'm just generally interested in the knowledge from The Experience collectors that have been around thank you again
Pillar of the Community
United States
9859 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sorry but I've always been taught to pay close attention to the die markers, are they important in identifying a coin or nah?

Die markers can be very important but they are not generally a starting point in identification and attribution. The coin in question looks nothing like a matte proof, having no characteristics of matte proof Lincoln cents. Because of that there is no reason to look for matte proof die markers.

As always ymmv.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17958 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BH is correct, you only look at die markers for confirmation, not the starting point. This is a regular business strike.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1769 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On matte proof Lincoln cents, the biggest keys are full square rims and a sharp strike. This coin has neither. Take a look at some examples online, they are easy to spot once you know what to look for.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: