Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Canada Large 1 Cent Variety Coins - Help Needed

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 627Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going thru a number of 1859 Canadian Large Cents I just acquired and have been looking through the Haxby Catalog of the Canadian 1859 Large Cent (https://www.vickycents.com/) I could use some confirmation on what I think I have. Thanks!

This first coin has something funny with the '1'. Is that a repunch or did it just get smushed? Also, does this look like a low '9'?

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next I'm wondering what's going on with the '9', it seems very large to me almost like it's a wide 9.

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now is this one a double punched '9' or just corrosion/wear?

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last one: Is there something funky with the 9 or is that just corrosion/wear?
Thanks for any help.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2652 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll get better results if you post both sides of the coin, there are many markers on the obv that would narrow your search.

And maybe tell us what you think you have (since you're asking for confirmation?)
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1625 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second coin looks like a die crack on leaf 16
poss this 1
https://www.vickycents.com/rev-e19.html
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1625 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the third one looks like this

https://www.vickycents.com/rev-p13.html
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1625 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Wade says you need to post both sides and have clear pics to get verification of these coins.
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on what I can see of the first coin, I believe it is reverse E10. The 1 looks like it did get smushed, as there is no re-punching of the 1 on reverse E10. The obverse could be 8 or 8a. It would be helpful to see good full obverse and reverse photos of each coin.
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, let's try this again without the covers & better lighting, both sides. I want an idea of what to look for as I have another 9 1859 coins that I would like to identify for myself. Thanks for the help so far.

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1625 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you are looking for is any die cracks and the stem on leaf 9 and thats for starters.
plus on https://www.vickycents.com/index.html go to-
Id my coin this will help you.
It takes a lot of time and understanding how to use the website.
good luck
Cheers Don

Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @fourmack, I'll hunt down the others at that site.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
648 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct about coin one. I looked up the word "smushed" and found it the coin-collecting technical term section of the 1859 edition of the OED (Oxford English Dictionary), with a print of that exact 1 in the description. It says it's the result of a cent getting smashed and the 1 gets crushed - voila ! smushed.

Some worn ones are almost impossible to identify, especially if leaf 9 is very worn, and there are no die cracks. After years of revisiting the site, I still have 9 I can't figure out.
Edited by TerryT
05/25/2022 01:11 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 627Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: