Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Roosevelt Dime Found In Ground

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 454Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Water4all to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I found this dime and was wanting to learn more about it. The info I've found on the internet seems ro be all over the place. I found it in the ground and originally thought it was a penny because it's copper looking. Thank you in advance!

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamuelPickwick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some basic information: https://www.coincommunity.com/us_di...oosevelt.asp
Scroll down to 1965 - Present.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1179 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone has used acid to eat away the clad layer, which is why it is also pitted.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Water4all to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys! The link was a big help seeing the different qualities and knowing that someone ruined it with acid was helpfull too. I saw on another site where the top layer just was not put on. So that's what had me curious if maybe both layers where not put on this one. I found it around 6 inches deep in dirt while metal hunting. Thank you again!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45200 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. May have been buried in acidic soil for a while? Or cleaned with acid to see what was dug up?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10556 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum!

Quote:
May have been buried in acidic soil for a while?

Looks quite typical for a cupro-nickel coin that's been buried in acidic soil for a long time. If it was put back into circulation the silver color would start to come through on the highest points. Metal detectorists find lots of coins like this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
736 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Community!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8590 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, yes. Dime was exposed to a corrosive environment for some time--likely while lounging around in soil.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69088 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very much what I'd expect a coin buried in acidic soil to look like.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/21/2022 10:40 am
Learn More...
United States
23779 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@water that is a fun find. It would be interesting to know the weight of this coin as I suspect it is low.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Water4all to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watched a guy on YouTube who said not to clean it with anything but water and I did only that. So, Tennessee has some acidic soils! Thank you it was literally my first time out and I found a really cool coin with lots of history. Will let you guys know if I find anything else cool. I'll try and get the weight when I find a scale. It's pretty light.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9352 Posts
Learn More...
United States
113674 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: