Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914-D Penny Something Bother Me

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 608Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, here I will put the coin in discussion on grey background and 3 originals as PCGS show. I think it is an fake cent. Not sure what bother me but I feel is not the really one.

What it is your chime on.

PS: What I do like: the nose, the letters, the date digits, the mint and the eye of Lincoln
Edited by silviosi
05/27/2022 5:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69015 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us a close-up of the date area?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo was provided to me like this. I will try to work on.
This it is my best I can

Pillar of the Community
United States
8178 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the 5 legit mint mark positions for this coin. Hard for me to tell from the picture you posted though.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The angle on your lighting is too low. I makes glare on the edges of the devices. Also need some diffusing of the light source. With the strength of the light it would probably take computer paper to remove the glare. The light should be more over the top of the devices. To low makes the height stand out more. (which is no help for what you are trying to show)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/27/2022 6:47 pm
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cointree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I see:

The D seems more centered between the 9 and 1 than on all the others.
The front, top of hair is flatter than the others.
Eye looks odd. No wrinkle/shadow coming down from where eye/nose connect. Eyelid is larger, line under eye is different.
Cheek/jaw bones are hard to distinguish (not sure about light angle compared to others).

Some of this could be wear &tear on the one in question or lighting angle.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69015 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enlarging the original image, the D seems to dip slightly to the left. I don't see this in any of the genuine examples.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I do not have others photos. Is what I was give.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can see something where the VDB shouldn't be. Can't tell for Sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CUJOHN. In my opinion it is fake.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2858 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The front curl of the hair looks wrong for ODV-004 (1912-14). The bow tie looks wrong. This could be wear, but it looks wrong. @Coinfrog and @Cujohn already noted the slanted mm and mystery where the VDB would be on the 1918-later shoulder. It may be genuine, but there are too many red flags for comfort.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2398 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like already noted to many red flags. The nose I really do not like. So I will not go to spend 400 bucks for this one. Thanks everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2091 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One glance and it's a total counterfeit. Stay clear !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17471 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks off to me also . letters are different , Lincoln looks like he's smiling . Not so on genuine 14-D . Nose ,lips and eyes look different from genuine 14-D's .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1640 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting analysis everyone, my little qualm is definitions again...

Counterfeit means the entire coin is fake, whereas,
Alteration means the coin is genuine, but messed with somehow.

So my vote is genuine (I see a woody cent here) but perhaps altered, but not 100% sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mrwhatisit. You are right, I never thought about it that way. I guess when I see a faked coin I just automatically call it counterfeit.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 608Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: