Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D Small Date Over Large Date? And Possible Doubling?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 568Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sherrow01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just wondering if this is a small date over large date. Beneath the "'9" and "6" is what caught my attention the most. Also, on the Lincolns throat there looks like there is some doubling action. Any thoughts? Thanks for checking out the post. Any input and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Megan S.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15699 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a Small over Large Date.
That looks like Machine Doubling on Abe's throat.
Learn More...
United States
24134 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sher, I think what you are asking is if this cent was struck with one die was then re-struck with a second, but slightly different die. Is that right? I agree with @jimmy that there is Machine Doubling on Abe's throat. As to the date, I am maybe seeing a little DDD, but mostly just stray circulation marks.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2000 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more light reading for everyone. I'm sure coop will be by shortly....

LINK http://www.lincolncentforum.com/obv...-small-date/
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1465 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most if not all 60s 9&6s are like that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45687 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the neck is called channeling.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70101 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58695 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mark on the '6' is on all 1960 small date cents:

It was a re-engraving mark on the die. Also the throat area was added at that time as well. Why is this not Machine Doubling? It looks like it. If it were Machine Doubling, all the other areas of the design on that side of the other devices would all be showing the same thing. Back then they were having issues with the master hub that created the new dies with a swelling issue. Through out the years, different enhancements were added to the master hub/master dies to enhance the devices a bit more. Thus we see the same issues for many year on the 'WE' on the motto and other devices as well:

Other years had a single year of enhancing the devices (Similar to a face lift on the devices on the master dies.):

There are other cases probably on many other denominations as well. Some master hubs/dies had issues that were fixed through the years. When we see a continuing issue on many years it was an alteration of the master hub. If it was for just one year, it was altered on the master die.

Thanks to Will Brooks we have this information on cents. But knowing this information helps us understand easier when we see these differences. These are things that true collectors notice. So I'm sharing this information with you.

CoopHome: Does the mint alter a master hub or master die? How do we know if it is a master hub or a master die alteration?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/03/2022 12:25 pm
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sherrow01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the delayed response... thanks to all who took the time to share their input. Thank you very much. This was very informational and cleared up many questions I had regarding other coins! :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58695 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the affected area on the neck. While it looks like Machine Doubling, it maybe an enhancement of the working hub. If the master hub was altered it not show Machine Doubling on all the other devices on that side of the design. Just on the throat area. This was done to enhance the life of the master hub. Thus if more than one master hub was altered, they could be different looking on different dies:

This coin is a 1964 example. So I feel it was done on the working hubs. If it were done on the master die, 50% of the dies would be affected the same as they only make two of them that year. But the point being, that if there were other Machine Doubling on the date and face, that would be Machine Doubling. If just that one area affected, then I feel it was an enhancement of the working hub. As it affects a confined area.

CoopHome: How to tell Machine Doubling from engraving on the dies?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: