Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Taxes Canada July 1st

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,694Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1342 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The kicker is that sellers will probably pay a final value fee on the tax.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70469 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is correct.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DBM. That clears it up, still don't like it. Especially the way purelywasted states it, the seller is getting penalized for this. Cutting into their profits is not fair. Greedy Ebay.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So a $1000 item at 13% would be around $130 in eBay fees. But now the tax charged is an extra $130 that the seller has to pay fees on.

So prior to July 1st the seller would take home $870 but after July 1st the seller will have to pay an extra $16.90 towards seller fees on the taxes and they will only get $853.10

So for every $100 you sell, you pay an extra $1.69 in fees (or an extra 1.7% on top of the already 13%)

Wow
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, now the seller is paying fees on government money. So wrong, but unavoidable I guess. Ebay should not be like this.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4315 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not Ebay it is the Feds .
There will now never be a quarterly
GST HST report where I will not get a
Refund ! Freakin Awesome!
Thanks Trudy !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1765 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that this has anything to do with the CRA trying to track down small time coin sellers who aren't reporting income on their tax returns. This is not a major issue for the government and most collectors over the last decade or two have not really made any money overall.

This is just authorities closing loopholes. Jurisdictions just want sales taxes from the big on line platforms. They are not so much after small coin sellers but more likely they are after the big Chinese sellers of cheap consumer crap.

Until about a year ago, I used to sell to US buyers on eBay (as a small seller) without collecting US sales taxes. eBay started enforcing, collecting and remitting them I think last year.

This is the same thing happening here now. The CRA basically is saying if you are a seller on eBay you are part of a large selling organization and not worthy of the small seller exemption and must charge HST. The government has legislated eBay to collect it.

I have to say I have no real problem. The reason for exempting small sellers was to save them the hassle of filing HST documents. With this system there are no HST documents. So there is no "moral" reason that buyers from small sellers should not pay HST.

Edited by Smallcentguy
06/07/2022 10:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1342 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2022  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point smallcentguy!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot about this going into affect and got hit for the 1st time today. Needed a 2022 50 cent to keep my set going. Found a fair price, fair shipping, then taxes! Put me 14 cents above my budget of $3. The seller even has a disclaimer about the taxes. He knows people will not be happy about it. I'm beefin' on a 3 dollar purchase. I'm not spending big bucks on ebay anymore.

I got curious about tax exempt 999 silver. Still wanted to charge tax. That should become an issue.

Valued Member
Canada
344 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Montgomery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same for me this week end... Got to Buy two certified coins... With TPS and TPS, the Price increase close to 15%... That's very bad...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2901 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Greedy Ebay.

Why is eBay greedy when they don't keep the money? eBay is collecting taxes on behalf of the government. So the blame is 100% on the government.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4315 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  01:02 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We made a corporate decision today based on
what we sell and where on both Ebay and Etsy
as well as our own Web site and our Weekly
one day Market .
We have decided it is best to just NOT sell to Canada
at all on ETSY as it is just a total hot mess over the Canadian
Taxation issue with them . No help at all .
As we know most of our repeat Canadian Customers on EBay
they can just give us a call if they see something on EBay .
I prefer to administer our own BC Sales Tax collection as
we and all BC retailers receive a commission for collecting it .
We also like to monitor our GST/ HST collection as well .
That way we know it is done correctly . Sure as the Sun rises
Ebay will mess this up big time and I really don't need , want
or trust them as my Tax Collection partner .
Since we are mostly ( over 80 per cent ) an export Company
we should be OK . Just sell more to the US and not worry too
much about it .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  04:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is eBay greedy

Poor wording on my end. 100% on the Government. Just wish Ebay could have refused.

Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold an item on eBay. They charge seller taxes and they also charged me gst. I'm I correct that I shouldn't be paying at my end?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4984 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your fees will generate HST
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 2,694Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: