Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Or 1928 Peace Dollar

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,094Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3993 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although the date is pretty worn, the rest of the coin looks more like FR02. Also, you need to make sure the mintmark area is clear enough to definitely say there is no mintmark.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2250 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2022  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought 8 because the top of the 3 on these is really two loops - a small one in the upper left where the 3 curls in, and a larger loop in the right half where the 3 is empty. It's tough to guess how that would appear when it's severely worn though. I'm not sure what a grader would have to go on when assigning the date or mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3672 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2022  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS may be able to make a determination about the date, but the mint mark area is also worn. I looked at die markers on the 1923 and 1928 and those are also worn. I am leaning toward that it will not grade, but I would still have it graded as it would be cool to get a PO1.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate the continued replies. I spoke with the ANACS rep at show setup today (he's a member of our club.) I'm taking it to him tomorrow for his recommendations. Will let you all know what he says.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A well-respected Peace authority looked at this coin today and said it is a 1928-S. His opinion of grade is actually AG3. So, no premium for that combo unfortunately. I suppose I could carry it around in my pocket for a few years and see what happens.

Thanks, once again, to all who looked her over.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10383 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3993 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice that you got an authoritative in hand opinion on the date and grade. The only problem with using it as a pocket piece is you'll probably wear off the date and mintmark. Not easy to get a P01.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice that you got an authoritative in hand opinion on the date and grade. The only problem with using it as a pocket piece is you'll probably wear off the date and mintmark. Not easy to get a P01.

I was thinking the same thing - how to allow more genuine wear on the coin without hurting the fragile date area. Probably impossible. @Zurie was accurate in his initial assessment. You folks on CCF are great resources!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,094Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: