Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

20 Francs 1934 Uncirculated?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 576Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
136 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  06:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone I found a French coin and I've been getting mixed opinions about the condition of the coin. To me it looks brilliant uncirculated, even though I feel like it's been cleaned. I would be grateful if everyone could share their opinion about the grade of the coin.

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10964 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard to grade these owing to lack of fine detail on the coins when struck.

I think I detect minimal wear on the highest points of the right-hand leaves on the reverse, so I'd say Good EF (UK grade). A French coin dealer would prtobably market it as 'Superbe'.

I can't see any of the telltale parallel scratches that indicate a harsh cleaning, but I can't see any lustre either, so the coin may have been dipped. It's hard to tell as the photos are a bit washed out.

In my experience these coins usually have a yellowish toning - here is my 1938 specimen, which I'd grade as EF and which still has quite a but of lustre, especially on the reverse:
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
136 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much did you pay for that coin if you don't mind me asking?
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10964 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How much did you pay for that coin if you don't mind me asking?

I homestly can't remember. I bought it from a coin shop in Lille in 1979 when I was teaching English in a French school as part of my University course. I don't think it was more than about 20 or 30 francs (then about $4 to $6). These coins effectively only circulated for two years as they were hoarded when the Germans occupied France in 1940 and within a short time the silver content was worth more than face value.
Edited by NumisRob
06/25/2022 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2382 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is something going on in the right obverse field, in front of liberty's forehead. Could be cleaning, could be something else.
Is this a EU or US seller? Do you have return privileges?
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
136 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to check if I have a return policy. The thing is that I've bought coins from multiple regions around the planet and it's only the collectors and numismatists in the US that absolutely abhor cleaning of coins and I understand why. Once a coin gets cleaned not only it gets damaged but it also loses its real identity as a coin, specially if the coin is rare and if high quality. On APMEX I see BU Morgan selling for $60 and then cleaned BU selling for $2-$3 less than the uncleaned ones. Should I really stay away from buying the coin if it is cleaned? If yes, Why?
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
136 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob and NumisEd, thank you both so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10964 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I really stay away from buying the coin if it is cleaned? If yes, Why?

I personally can't see any of the obvious parallel scratches that would indicate a harsh cleaning. It could have been dipped at some time to remove an uneven one, or maybe the seller's photos just make it look a bit washed out and unnaturally white. It wouldn't put me off buying it - it's a high grade foreign coin and you never know when another one might come up - it's not something like a 1964 Kennedy half dollar where you know there will always be plenty of others to choose from!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the glare in the photos but the coin does appear to have some minor wear.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 576Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: