Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 Aussie 5 Cent Broadstrike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 451Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
124 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has no reeding, is slightly bigger and weighs the same as a normal 5 cent piece.
Found noodling today.

The depth of the strike is impressive to me.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
568 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow crab eater, that's pretty spectacular.

Noodling 5 cent coins is a hard slog and you deserve a find like this.
Valued Member
Australia
124 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks MMMan , no such thing as a 'slog' though. I love it.
Keeps me out of trouble. And it is really affordable .

Pillar of the Community
United States
1743 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually that is a great example of an off-center strike, a broadstrike by definition is a coin that was struck without a retaining collar used to hold the coin when it was being struck so it wouldn't expand beyond the preset diameter.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
228 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find crab eater!

I'm amazed that it stayed in circulation for 19 years!

There is an almost identical one (but a 2008) on Ebay atm for $99
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
06/27/2022 08:23 am
Learn More...
Australia
14506 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, most broadstrikes are off-centre to at least some extent. With no collar holding the planchet in place, a broadstrike can come down anywhere on the planchet, more or less at random. Having it in the exact centre would be unusual.

I'd say this fits the textbook definition of a broadstrike. A non-broadstruck off-centre would still show the reeded edge of a normal coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Australia
20 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really cool coin
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 451Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: