Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Black PVC On Peru Sol Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 473Next Topic  
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  8:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SanDavis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I recently picked up this 1934 Peru Sol and wondered whether these black sort of grainy spots (on the wreath) on an otherwise relatively untoned 50% silver coin could be PVC residue or something else.

I've heard of PVC residue turning up black or near-black at a certain stage, but haven't seen it myself. I am fresh out of acetone and don't feel like picking up another tin unless really necessary!

Any feedback/insight anyone in the community could offer would be appreciated!

Nat
Pillar of the Community
United States
8948 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely not PVC--usually appears as a haze across a surface vs. a concentrated spot--could be mistaken. Acetone could mitigate it (mostly), if it's PVC.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19848 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Black staining it is, - most probably a small area of silver oxide/sulfide discoloration (inorganic)
If it is, acetone will not remove it.

The chlorine in PVC is chemically locked into the PVC.
With clear soft PVC, it is the oil based plasticizers in the PVC which leach out, to affect the coin as a haze, as ijn 1944 says, and acetone could mitigate or perhaps remove the hazing (organic)
Learn More...
Australia
14504 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PVC damage on a silver coin is, usually, manifested by "green goo". THis might turn the high points visibly green, or, if it is thin, it might simply make them look cloudy.

Black, on a silver coin, is almost always regular run-of-the-mill tarnish. Two little tarnish spots like this, I am thinking, were likely caused by the coin sitting in an old 2x2 for decades, with two small pinholes in the cellophane letting air in at those two points on the coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SanDavis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for the replies and the great insight and info! This is extremely helpful. I guess I've been lucky to have not actually encountered more than just a handful of PVC damage situations, and haven't yet developed the know-it when I see it instinct. This was reassuring and informative. Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give it the acetone treatment.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1220 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love PVC green coins! I have scored multiple year sets in the past at reduced prices because of the green layer. Careful cleaning with acetone brings them back almost new. Certainly worth more than what I paid.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: