Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Don't Know What It Is. Looks Like Roosevelt's.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 512Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
88 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  01:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am guessing this is post mint damage, but as usual, I really don't know.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may have been done with a hydraulic press. Someone pressed the obverse of a dime into the obverse of a cent. It looks like it was done with some precision and skill as it was kept round and centered. Maybe it was in a pipe or other "homemade" collar when it was pressed. The reverse of the cent was flattened by the pressure because it didn't have a die in place to keep it from being damaged.

It's PMD, but it's interesting PMD.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Learn More...
United States
24134 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting fabrication. I agree done with more skill than the typical vise job. I'd probably save it just for the novelty.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, interesting PMD.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45687 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD. Similar to a "vise" job. Looks neat.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
8890 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above. Fun curiosity.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14486 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what happens when you take a perfectly normal cent, a perfectly normal dime, and squeeze them together in a high-pressure device of some kind. It might even have been done in a hydraulic press, of the kind an amateur medal-maker might use to make their medals.

The way that the dates and mintmarks of the two coins have been lined up, implies to me that this was no accidental arrangement of randomly selected, randomly aligned coins. Someone deliberately tried to make something like this. That the two coins are 13 years apart (1980 and 1993) also implies that whoever made it, wasn't trying to make some kind of "fake mint error", since there's no logical reason why a 1980 cent is going to be flying through the air and somehow getting stuck in the dime presses in 1993.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70107 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a fabrication!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58695 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the reeds on the outer edge of the dime. (note image #4) No way this is legit, because of the reeds seen squashed into the coin.

Can't be a mint error with a newer date on the altered coin, the 30 year old coin it was supposed to be struck on.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
06/27/2022 5:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Camrdaddy19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, it's pretty cool. I like that yall are so insightful. I appreciate it. Good brains.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intentional post mint damage.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd probably save it just for the novelty.

A fun find.
Learn More...
Australia
14486 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also wondering if someone was attempting to make a "fake error" dime, and this is just the "scrap metal" leftover from that process. The dime would have been damaged somewhat, but not as extensively.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70107 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comical to think someone would go to such lengths to create an obvious fabrication.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 512Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: