Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buffalo Nickel 1917-D Toned

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 503Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
83 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I just bought a To ed Buffalo nickel with not the sharpest date, but it is readable and it is a 1917-D. I need help with grading the coin so I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. I've also tried to grade it using PCGS photograde, but I still need help. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70133 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say G details (reverse Wrapping Machine Damage).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17739 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry to say it's G-06 Details . Lots of problems .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
83 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why G details. Can someone explain?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45696 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch that goes all around the reverse is from a coin counting/wrapping machine. Could even be from a vending machine that damaged it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
24148 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My recollection is that the primary determinant of grade on these nickels is the amount of bison horn remaining separated. Can someone please confirm if that is the case, or is it now more complex than that? I'm hoping we can provide some simple rules of thumb to @aref. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
83 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin you see in this picture is graded by ANACS as VG08, so when I compare my coin with much better details and I ask experts about the grade and they say G details or G06 it makes no sense to me. That's why it would be better for me to also get an explanation as to why it's a G details. If I compare it to the VG08 coin from ANACS mine can even fall into the category of F12, but if the the damage on the coin destroys the grade then that would be understandable.

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
83 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aref to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Found another Buffalo nickel graded by ANACS this one is F12

Pillar of the Community
United States
3672 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The VG8 ANACS is over graded it should be a G06. Here is what I see on your coin. The obverse has a partial date and rim wear into liberty. On reverse no horn visible, rim wearing into the buffalo head, significant damage on on letters and scratch through buffalo head. The toning on the coin does not look natural. I am on the fence between 06 and 08. I am going to put the coin into the O6 details damaged bucket because of the damage and toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70133 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin might very well exhibit VG sharpness to some, but it has been damaged (a "details" coin) because of the circular wrapping machine mark on the reverse. Its value is considerably diminished because of this. It also exhibits the iridescent effects of a cleaned coin. I would value it at less than $10.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/27/2022 6:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4150 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are comparing apples to oranges in the Buffalo nickel world. Strike weakness/strength and die state ply HUGE factors in the remaining detail that can be seen once the coin has started to wear. Coins that came right out of the mint with a weak strike and or later die state are going to appear in a much lower grade than they "technically" are once they seen even a small amount of wear.

The ANACS VG08 1918/7-D you posted looks correct, maybe G06 to a strict grader, IMO. It's a later die state, hence alot of the mushy details you see. This one likely lost the majority of its higher relief details and most of the horn in the Fine range of grading.

Due to die state issues and weak strikes, grading solely by the amount of horn remaining is very unreliable, especially when it comes to weak strikes. Realistically, grading solely by the horn is only reliable will average to well struck examples.

Tough to judge yours from the images, but looks MDS and flairly well struck, as alot of 17-D's were. I wouldn't argue the consensus of G06, but would lean towards VG08 myself, Details due to reverse damage. The small bits of toning also look unnatural.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1726 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is very good that you are asking us. Multiple sets of eyes and combined experience can lead to a much better analysis...

On your original post, it overall looks as high as F-12, but with upthreads average at G-6 details. On the other coins you posted, one is a mint error the 1918/7-D overdate which tends to get the "rarity bump" in grade, and also looks G-6 to me. The 13-S type-2 is also a key date and looks a F-12 to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always get a good laugh from new people arguing against veterans.

This coin is G6 Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
mint error

I hate to be nitpicky, but an overdate is a variety and not a mint error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the toning, I also question that it's natural. The rainbow coloring, like the blues on the reverse, for a well worn coin would be extremely unusual IMO and leads me to be suspect. Colorful and natural toning is more to be expected in AU+ specimens, but is still the vast minority.

Sorry about that scratch. It kills the value no matter how much we want to find other points of merit. Like another said above, it's maybe $10 no matter how we hope it away or distract ourselves.

Regarding the full horn / split tail grading on these. I view it as a point of debate on XF+ coins. I feel it's a moot point for VF or less at the other wear on the coin is defining it. Don't let someone talk up a VF as AU especially in value because "it's got a full horn." Buyer is being taken for a ride at that point.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
06/27/2022 8:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24458 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G-6 details, damaged.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 503Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: