Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found A Bunch Of Coins Buried In Back Yard

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,134Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  6:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dannygprater29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I live in hugo Oklahoma an I found over 200 coins buried but cant cant figure out what they are I've used soap toothbrushe,rust removal, toilet bowl cleaner,still cant make them so my ? If what should I use to clean couple with

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, , asking us is a great idea, lots of experience here.
If you can, try to post pics with the optimizer and then we can help you better as how to identify anything, especially on any coins you have questions on that might look better than the others.
We can help you on how to clean up these coins without messing them up even more, others might have better info than I, but look in our search bar at the top on similar topics as such .

100% acetone, and Verdi-Care are two that are commonly used (but not together) and are generally fine when it comes to getting coins to look better but caution should still be used.

On another note, it usually is never a good idea to clean coins with other chemicals since they can destroy any numismatic value they might have, such as silver polish to polish up a silver coin. That coin would then get a details cleaned designation and the value usually plummets.
Edited by mrwhatisit
06/27/2022 7:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70382 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, let's start with some pics.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17780 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , . To better know what you are asking , can you tell the metal composition of the coins and how were they placed in the ground . in a bag , a box or lose laying in dirt ?

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please don't leave us hanging in anticipation with such a headline. Welcome aboard and pics please!
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Learn More...
Australia
14511 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures might help - you might just see a corroded mess, but we might recognize something.

If no pictures are possible, at least describe them. Are they all the same, or different sizes? What metal do they seem to be made of? We can't really advise on cleaning procedures without that knowledge; a procedure that works great on silver coins will ruin a copper coin, and vice versa.

Finally, be prepared for the possibility of hearing that they aren't actually coins. Not everything round and metallic-looking is a coin. Without some kind of description, you might have found a hoard of electrical box knockout tabs.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above, if they are all roughly the same I would recommend getting the dimensions and weight, based on the corroded description I would guess they are copper? Best to not try and clean them as there is specific ways if dealing with these sorts of things that won't harm the coins(if they are coins)

Hope to see some pictures soon, lots of experts in different fields on this site so hopefully your can figure out what you have.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45827 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us some pics and we'll be happy to help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenwright396 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17780 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without some kind of description, you might have found a hoard of electrical box knockout tabs.

Knock out plugs buried in his back yard ?

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70382 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toilet bowl cleaner?
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghonk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toilet bowl cleaner?

They must be really crappy coins.
Learn More...
United States
39254 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They must be really crappy coins
They are now!
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5253 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A flame torch can't hurt now. Try that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a small cache of modern coins. Any considerable buried silver or gold coins would be at least recognizable.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: