Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not Sure If This Is Verdigris Or PVC Gunk?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,337Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  03:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hiya all. regarding a 1957 Australian error sixpence - 50% silver, 40% copper, 5% zinc, 5% nickel.
I had this as a supplementary question in another forum, but it is getting missed.
What would be the best way to get rid of, or at least reduce the green looking muck around the legend?
I have 100% acetone, and I am getting some Verdi-Care delivered here from the States next month.
I wanted to tidy it up before I "2x2-it"
Your advice is much appreciated
Cheers TT

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9004 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial sense--given the images provided--is that were looking at a PVC (or like) issue. I'd suggest a long soak in acetone as a first step. Can't hurt.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70481 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, looks like PVC.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17786 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't have a very big problem at all with that . I also recommend a soak in Acetone with a Q-tip in tough spots .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
8277 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ditto
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers to all, thanks for the feedback.
I'll give it a workout and post back the results.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a 48 hour swim in acetone, there is little difference to the green stuff and not worthy of another photo. Tried an acetone soaked Q-tip but gentle persuasion was acheiving zip and I didn't want to lay into it too much. I've returned it to some fresh acetone from a newly purchased litre bottle thinking it may acheive something different, but I guess acetone is acetone.
My order of VerdiCare isn't due to arrive here downunder until the 17th.
(The ox moves slowly but the earth is patient)
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was this coin stored in a PVC flip?
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was this coin stored in a PVC flip?

I'm not sure. I scored the coin in an eBay auction a few weeks ago. It arrived by post last week, housed in a cut out clear plastic section from an album, so it may have been in PVC long term.
I'll leave it in acetone for a few more days and retry. If I don't have any joy, I'll wait for the VerdiCare and give that a try.
Cheers TT
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it's unusual that Her Majesty's face doesn't seem affected as much by the green. Looks like there's residue surrounding her profile, but not on her face. If it was stored in a PVC flip, wouldn't the PVC damage have less of a regular pattern and have affected the raised areas as much as the fields?
Either way, hope it works out and please let us know how the story ends! Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70481 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd. Just an unusual environmental toning shade, perhaps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have it soaking, probably leave it in for another day or so....no harm apparently.
On the obverse above, below H.II the green is slightly less where I really laid into it with a soaked Qtip, so it does come off.
I have a feeling that if and when I get it all removed, the patina of the coin will be noticeably different around the legend, but I would prefer that to the green hue, given it is an error coin and not a showpiece.
More to come when it's finished the bath.
Edited by ttkoo
07/03/2022 11:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
677 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
doesn't look like verdigris so don't think Verdi-Care will do anything for it. will it scrape out? porcupine quill?

whats the error? overdate?
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
07/04/2022 01:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
245 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
doesn't look like verdigris so don't think Verdi-Care will do anything for it. will it scrape out? porcupine quill?
whats the error? overdate?

Once it has had a decent soaking, I'll try scraping it away with a Qtip again. As it is an error coin, I may even resort to some spit in some foil....or maybe not. I know that will remove everything....including some of the metal so that is a last resort.

As far as VerdiCare goes, the reverse side of the coin (pictured above) which has a rim to rim crack through the planchet looks more dark gray/green mottling which I thought was verdigris. This also answers your error type question.

Late Edit: I wondered about your comment of an overstamp so I took another look at the reverse pic above. It does have that appearance. However, I just looked at a proof 1957 on Ebay at the moment, and it also has the "doubled" look on the left hand side of the leg. Mine seems the same with also a small lump on the right side. Well spotted!

Edited by ttkoo
07/04/2022 02:53 am
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is more of a question than advice: Would it make sense to run the coin under a stream of distilled water after the acetone bath?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: