Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Not Sure If This Is Verdigris Or PVC Gunk?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,313Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently the best method is to soak in acetone, then rinse in fresh acetone.
That seems to be the general consensus.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
acetone (100% pure acetone) leave no residue and evaporates quickly, usually no after rinse is needed.

Got it! Thanks!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2022  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my Verdi-Care just arrived from US this morning.
I'm about to go ahead and use it on the error sixpence, BUT
the bottles don't come with instructions for use (nor MSDS info or web-site where to get this info)

I looked on-line and it points to wizard, but the link goes nowhere.
Don't suppose anyone on CCF has a copy of the instructions they could email to me? It would be greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of differeing methods described in the topics here on CCF, but I would like to hear what the manufacturer has to say first.

Cheers TT
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie is sending me the instructions. He's a legend.
Learn More...
United States
114883 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't get the instruction, let me know, He had sent me a you tube video on how to use this stuff. I can sent you the link when I get home.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you don't get the instruction, let me know, He had sent me a you tube video on how to use this stuff. I can sent you the link when I get home.

Thanks Dearborn, that would be appreciated..
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I applied a drop of Verdi-Care on the coin and spread it out so it covered it completely. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Had a toothpick soaking in water. Used the toothpick to work around the legend letters to remove the muck and gunk.
Then I moistened a microfibre cloth with 5 drops and worked it into the cloth so there was a damp patch larger than the coin. I folded the cloth over on itself to get a matching damp patch. Then I gently spun the coin between the two damp cloth faces, going clockwise, then anti clockwise for about twenty rotations each direction. I dabbed the coin dry with a dry microfibre cloth and had them sitting under a fan to dry.
The post treatment pix are pretty close to how it is in the hand. The light source for the pre photos was different, and I never thought about that until I lined the before and after photos up to join them.
I am pretty happy with the obverse side, though I'm not sure what created the dark patch at 4 o'clock.
I didn't spend any time picking at the reverse side this time, and the damage that I did working too hard with the qtip and acetone previously is now apparent left of the kangaroo, now that the Verdi-Care has removed the grey mottled staining.

I'll do a bit more work on the reverse, but overall I am pretty happy for a first time tryout. I also have some coppers to try out and I'll post the results up, when Mrs ttkoo allows

Thanks to all who gave me some pretty good advice.
Cheers TT

Learn More...
United States
114883 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good!

Quote:
though I'm not sure what created the dark patch at 4 o'clock.
That area appears to be toned differently in the before photo and that difference is now being highlighted or otherwise affected by treatment. That is the potential downside of conservation efforts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing the results!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add winterhawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize this is not a corroded coin yet, just my Two Cents

I've always had good luck with simply soaking coins in backing soda and hot water, stops corrosion in its tracks - all but very heavily corroded coins (do not rub the coin with backing soda paste it is extremely abrasive and will ruin the coin)! Just follow up with softened, or distilled water for a spot free rinse and PAT dry (again do not rub dry) or use compressed air.
The coin will be a DETAILS pitted coin but no longer as corroded.

I've also experimented with oven cleaner on really dirty coins
( I've saved many VF - XF silver and nickel coins) with good results too. This method requires frequent distilled water rinsing and gloves! Oven cleaner will take your breath away so use cautiously and infrequently! Some coins will have a degree of original luster restored and is quite evident it has been cleaned.

If you do experiment cleaning coins (aka conservation when you pay TPG'S to do it) do not practice using keys or semi-key dates!

Moderator - If I am out of line sharing this info, please don't hesitate to remove it.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forget about all that-it's a 10 second fix. That Lamination and flan crack is huge!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: