Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 Lincoln Penny Maybe With Few Errors?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 541Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
122 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  01:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I said before and pretty new on this, my acknowledgement is poor but, even I can tell that this coin has some things wrong, can you give your thoughts please maybe I'm wrong.
You all have a good night!

Learn More...
United States
24208 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gigi, that might be a die chip on the corner of the Lincoln memorial, but the W in WE is just damaged.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence did you saw the ring of the front? That is not normal I think, and de letters "we trust" is on the very top, plus if and not wrong the t of the trust is a lil far, in an addition in my eye the 1966 seems to be crooked.
Can you check again and let me know please?

Edited by gigi2110
06/29/2022 03:00 am
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a common coin which has some minor insignificant die chips/die deterioration issues and some hits in circulation. None of the issues mentioned above are collectible in most cases and do not add value to the coin.
Learn More...
United States
24208 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gigi, yes I see what you are talking about and still think this is normal circulation wear, perhaps on a cent struck with a tired die. The spacing of letters seems normal to me—try comparing with another cent.

As you continue learning, I recommend you check out error-ref.com, which is an excellent website showing what mint errors look like. Also, later today @coop will likely comment on this thread and they have a wealth of information linkable in their signature line.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45768 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IGWT being near the rim is normal for that year. I suggest you read and bookmark this http://www.error-ref.com/ and buy a Red Book and read it for the info not the values,so a used one will be fine.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  05:58 am  Show Profile   Check bugil46's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10390 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again - I found your other post - This coin here is just showing its age again. It just got all beat up and too a lot of circulation hits denting the design elements. and it does look to have a chip at the corner of the memorial.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regular circulation coin. Keep searching!
ça va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
556 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you are learning about coins so no big deal but remember U.K., early Australia ect...have pennies the U.S. has cents.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58804 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Incuse marks on a coin are 99% of the time, damage to the coin. (No premium for damage on a coin)
2. As the dies wear on these coins, the metal moves in the rim direction. I see that on the motto devices. (No premium for die wear on a coin)
3. A slightly known fact is that the Lincoln Cent obverses are distorted because of the a spread on the master hub that over the years, started to swell. This is seen on cents up to 1969. The master hub was replaced in 1969 and retired the old master hub. These are used to created the master die and the working hubs And working dies:

So several years they were enhancing the master dies created by this master hub in different ways. Altering the appearance of coins through the year. That is why the devices are touching the rims also. Other years showed different master die doubling/alterations through the years. So with this being common, all cents created those years are all alike, making them all just normal coins. That is also an issue you are seeing on your coin.
4. The '1' is showing die polishing from a die clash issue. Some digits can be really altered, but again, they are just a die event, not a die variety.
The same is the same issue for the top of the head. The fields on the die (outside part of the die) were over polished and now the devices are suffering from from field reduction.

So all the events on your coin are totally normal die events, except of the contact marks that happen during circulation. While a lot is going on with your coin, there is no premium for any of these events. While there are doubled dies on some of these dies, your coin was struck by a normal die and damaged in circulation.

CoopHome: What die events affect the mid 1960's cents?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gigi2110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I'm learning from you, google, but I don't know why for me is very difficult see the difference, for example DDO and DDR are very confused to me.
Learn More...
United States
24208 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gig, if you are having trouble understanding the difference between DDO and DDR, it is just a matter of location. Both a doubled dies, but the DDO had a doubled die on the front (obverse) of the coin while the DDR has the doubled die on the back (reverse) of the coin. During the striking process, one obverse die and one reverse die are used.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45768 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
one obverse die and one reverse die are used

And don't forget the third die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58804 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing a coin with a side by side of a normal or a certain variety, will help train your eyes as to what you are seeing/aren't seeing. Thus the side by side feature I use a lot (and conceived) to help the eyes see the differences better. Thus your eyes become smarter as to what you are seeing. Interesting coins should be set aside to be reviewed later. Finish the roll or session and later take another look. Maybe it something or nothing. See a lot of coins will help train your eyes.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 541Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: