Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 P Lincoln Cent - Opinions Please. SMS?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 822Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Supnj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!
I would like opinions on this coin I had graded a while back when I was new to the hobby . (Still new but a little wiser) I just happened to be looking through some of my coins I had sent and this one in particular made me do a double take . I had originally convinced myself was an sms coin. It was one of the first coins I had sent in and hadn't realized yet I needed to pay and request for error/variety checks.
Please let me know what you think!

Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9004 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked at the coin via the PCGS verification tool--and pulled up the full trueview image. In my opinion, this isn't an SMS coin--only business strike. MS65.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70476 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45886 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Not a SMS. We get this question a lot.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

now I know what SMS stands for. Thanks

https://www.coincommunity.com/dicti...20Mint%20Set
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, not a SMS, business strike.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Supnj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone I'm sorry my post was a bit convoluted. I had originally thought snd bc if the due scratches east of his nose (N-S) but had concluded it wasn't . I'm looking now at the LIB in liberty
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in agreement, not a SMS, sorry.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SMS coins were made in 1965, 1966, and 1967. There are a couple of SMS test pieces from 64, but they are incredibly rare. There were only a small number of SMS sets produced, perhaps 30, which were not released to the public. It is also believed they have all been accounted for when a dealer bought them from a mint directors estate. It is likely that a 1964 SMS will not be found by any one in circulation but its not impossible, just extremely unlikely and would require much more investigation than a few opinions on this forum. The finish you see seems to be a well struck cent but not a proof or a SMS.

Edited by datadragon
06/30/2022 9:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58904 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The major marker for the 1964 SMS is on the reverse. Lathe lines on the building:

CoopHome: What major reverse die marker can be seen on the 1964 SMS cents?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1566 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and . Dearborn, I wish.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

But since its not IMPOSSIBLE...carry on. If you don't look, your guaranteed not to find anything.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 822Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: