Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974-S Proof Eisenhower DDR-001, Clad Not Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 473Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On Variety Vista this DD is listed as being struck on 40% silver planchets but this one is in a clad set.
http://varietyvista.com/13%20Eisenh...4SDDR001.htm
The doubling is on the rim of the craters some leaves and the designers initials. Nice little DDR.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot this pic

Pillar of the Community
United States
5755 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example! Interesting to find the same die on two planchet types.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find. I wonder if the mint started using that die on the clads because there was still life in the die but not good enough for the higher end silver sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! Dearborn , that was my guess as well. In my pics you can see some die scratches through the designs. Possibly a few too many imperfections for the higher end coins.
Learn More...
United States
24281 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really neat to see that doubling on the craters. Thx for sharing.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45890 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and nice photos.Maybe you should contact VV and let them know. They might want to add it to their site.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool find! The doubling shows best in your last shot, as always nice pics. If it's not too much trouble, can you get a shot of the star under the "I" in AMERICA?
-makecents-
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic find!

Quote:
I wonder if the mint started using that die on the clads because there was still life in the die but not good enough for the higher end silver sets.
I am not so sure, but varieties are not my specialty. It may have just been it had never been caught before, so submitting images to VV or some other authority should be the next step.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all !
-makecents-
Very cool find! The doubling shows best in your last shot, as always nice pics. If it's not too much trouble, can you get a shot of the star under the "I" in AMERICA?

Here's the pic

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atrox001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually when you see the same doubting on a silver proof and a clad proof it may have come from a Master Die. You may be able to find the doubling on a Business Strike also.
I don't think the doubling on the designer's initials in you photo matches the DDR-001 on VV.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the pic, sir! Your doubling and VV's just looked like it was slightly different, maybe even in the slightest different direction. This particular star showed the doubling very well on VV's example and thought it might be good for comparison. All this being said, I know little to nothing about Ike's or if the type of metal may mess with the doubled look. It could also be the difference in die states or lighting too. Also not familiar with Ike's enough to know about possible doubled master die, atrox001 spoke of. Here are a couple of pics for comparison though. Nice find, regardless.

-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 473Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: