Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Morgan Up For Bid - Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 789Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are images from an upcoming auction. The coin is listed as 1894-O. The reverse image doesn't show a mint mark. But, the reverse doesn't look correct for 1894-P. Do you think the images are mismatched, the coin could be 1894-P, or could it be a counterfeit? I'm confused. Thanks for your insights.

"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
3689 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The example is not a 1894 as the date position does not match. The date position does match a 1894 O. My guess is that the seller has the wrong photo for reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4218 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The horrible attempt at photoshopping the obverse in combination with overexposed bright pics would keep me far from even considering this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with both comments so far. This seller isn't known for great photos (I think they scan the coins,) but their coins end up being fairly nice. I'm looking for varieties rather than gems, anyway.

I didn't look at the date position - good eye. I think there is only one die for the 1894. Plus, the reverse looks like the later, post-1899 version.

Thank you for your comments!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call by Slider23.
Pillar of the Community
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call Slider23.
Learn More...
United States
39625 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FREE opinion: Not a Philadelphia mint coin.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4080 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this is likely a counterfeit. The reverse is a C4 reverse hub type with a wide gap between the eagle's neck and left wing, not used until 1900. Good catch, @Bump111 and @Slider23!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree this is likely a counterfeit.

Or perhaps a simple mistake on the sellers part.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of a link to the listing?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8047 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Message the seller and let him know about the wrong reverse pic. He'll appreciate it.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any chance of a link to the listing?

Here ya go:

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-...d_5A74DFFBF9

I'll shoot them a message tomorrow to let them know about the error. Thanks, again everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4080 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't see you said it was listed as an 1894-O. Makes it very likely that it's just a wrong reverse photo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2426 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent the auction house a message about the errant reverse photo. I was kinda hoping for a counterfeit - there are various examples of contemporaries out there! But, this one looked a little too good.

Thanks for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2318 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the photos are accurate I'd suspect a sandwiched fake, but then they wouldn't advertise it as 1894-O.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 789Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: