Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Medals: 1965 Numismatic Award Medal Presented To Russell B. Robins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7999 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  11:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a uniface "Stock" medal design struck by Medallic Art Company (MACO) that was used as an appreciation award for a speaker at the Detroit Coin Club in 1965.

The design featured on the medal - named "Knowledge in Numismatics" - was originally submitted by Anthony Dal Pino to the Medallic Art Company for its 50th Anniversary medal competition in 1950. The design did not win the competition, but was well-received and earned an "Honorable Mention." Beginning in 1961, the design was used for a MACO stock "Numismatics" medal - presented here.

The design depicts a kneeling male figure with outstretched arms in the foreground. In his left hand, he holds a medallion (possibly a sculpted model); in his right, is held measuring calipers. Behind him is an allegorical female figure holding the "Torch of Knowledge" in her outstretched right hand. In the far background on the right (viewer's perspective) is seen an Owl - representing Knowledge - and, on the left, a small olive tree - symbolic of peace and friendship within the numismatic community.

The medal's reverse, was left blank on the stock medal so that a personalized engraving could be added.

In this case, the personalization was for Russell B. Robins. Robins, an ANA member, was given the medal after his presentation at the November 18, 1965 meeting of the Detroit Coin Club. Robins was a member of the 1964 Assay Commission, so it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that his presentation discussed his experiences on the Commission.

It appears that the Detroit Coin Club, a club dating back to at least the mid-1920s, is no longer active. Is anyone aware of its fate? The Northwest Detroit Coin Club, formed in 1962, remains an active club (Maybe the Detroit Coin Club was absorbed by the Northwest Club at some point?) Any insights would be appreciated!

1961 "Knowledge in Numismatics" Award Medal Presented to Russell B. Robins

Dal Pino's design was also used as the obverse on Blue Ridge Numismatic Association - 6th Convention Medal (1965).

1965 Blue Ridge Numismatic Association Convention Medal/Badge

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
07/01/2022 11:10 am
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting design, especially with the depiction of the medal itself (as you said, possibly a sculpted model) in the male figure's left hand.
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7916 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been away for awhile and nice to catch up with one of commems fascinating articles on medals. I enjoy reading about them and have certainly been inspired to try and obtain a few of the examples that have been shared.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: