Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us The Worst Grading From Major Slabbing Companies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 533Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  3:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is one from ANACS:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70415 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, that takes the cake!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19863 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is essential that you must learn to grade for yourself, even if you get it wrong occasionally.
How to learn?
That is where the CCF comes in, with threads such as :-
"You vs the grader", or "Please grade my coin"

If you don't agree with Coinfrog, with example pictured, it's time to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rims, letters, and date look okay for the grade, but there's obviously a lot of central weakness. I wonder if the graders felt that wasn't from wear. What does the reverse look like?
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I no longer have a picture of the reverse. But in my opinion it would not matter how nice the reverse is, I would never call this VF. Here is a similar PCGS graded coin that I agree with grade.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The sharpness of the letters and rim is dramatically different in that G-4 example. I'm guessing they felt the obliteration of detail in the central figure was from a strike through grease. It would be hard for the body and skirt to be worn so much without affecting the date and rims. If the reverse looked VF, that would confirm it. VF-20 might be a little optimistic, but it's not that far off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70415 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So would you pay, say, Fine-15 money for it?
Edited by Coinfrog
07/02/2022 1:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So would you pay, say, Fine-15 money for it?

No, if it's from a filled die, the weak details would obviously affect the value, but not the technical grade.
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found the reverse picture. Here it is - sold for $308.20 - Well below greysheet for VF20 but no way I would pay that much.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3998 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for digging the reverse photo up. It looks like a solid F-15 on the reverse. I definitely agree that the loss of detail from a Grease Filled Die on the obverse detracts and reduces value.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 533Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: