Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do Graders Treat Coins When The Wear Is Uneven? (1794 Cent)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 672Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello and Happy 4th weekend. Can someone tell me how TPG's assess a grade when the wear is uneven across the coin? Take for example the following where both sides of the coin show much more wear on the right side than the left. Unfortunately this is not in my collection but I'll provide the grade later this weekend for those who are interested in testing their skills against PCGS.

Thanks!

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
9884 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a striking or planchet issue in your images, not more or less wear from side-to-side. Usually when a coin appears to have less detail on one side or area it is related to a misaligned or worn die or a planchet that was a touch thinner or thicker in certain areas.

This cent looks to have excellent remaining detail and assuming it straight graded my guess would be VF20 or 25 on a good day.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a planchet issue to me, which is VERY common in the early days of the Mint trying to figure things out. This coin was struck in the first 18 months of the Many being open and finding solid planchets on these early coins increase values significantly. Looks VF25 to me and possibly higher if judging the grade by the strongest points on the coin.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and I appreciate being able to learn more about this hobby :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question!

Technically, grading refers to the state of preservation of the coin. In other words, how has handling of the coin after it left the mint altered the way the coin appeared when it left the mint.

Several things during the minting process can mimic circulation wear:
Die state. As the dies wear, the coins struck from the dies will have less detail than when the dies were new.
Die polishing. Die clashes are common, when the dies strike each other, without a planchet between the dies. This transfers portions of the design from one die to the other. Mint employees try to remove these clashes by polishing the dies. The polishing, in turn, removes details of the design from the dies, affecting all coins struck after the polishing. This is very common in some coin series, such as Buffalo nickels.
Strike quality. For early coin series, coins struck under higher pressure will have more detail than coins struck under lower pressure. For later coin series, especially at the branch mints, striking pressure sometimes was set lower to extend the life of the dies.
Die alignment, as others already have mentioned in this thread.
Preparation of the planchet. This includes porosity from the alloy, laminations, cracked planchets, improper rolling resulting in a tapered planchet, and other defects or conditions.

It takes time, but the more people look at coins from the same series, the more we see differences in appearance that come from the way the coins were struck, rather than as a result of wear. These factors are excluded during grading, to allow an accurate measurement of the state of preservation. This produces a technical grade, which then may be adjusted for appearance of the coin in order to produce a net grade.

Hope this helps!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a tapered planchet. I personally grade the most detailed section of the coin, while also taking into account high points and weak sections. If you grade the part that is struck up fully, it is fairly simple as you just need to account for the wear. If you grade the part that is weakly struck, it is difficult because you don't know how weak the strike is to begin with and you may be confusing strike with wear.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45885 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also noticed that there is a lot of leeway when it comes to colonials.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
boy, I can add anything to the above comments. FC nailed it with that detail.

the coin looks VF35 with the lower hair details and more rounded cheek sharp denticles from K4-K10. you can the reverse of it on the reverse from K7-K2.

with all the options that could have happened it to me its more than just one. the flatness above the ear points to a weaker strike.

the coin has the overall detail of a VF35 coin and would net maybe VF25. its actually a nice looking coin with no major issues and a nice chocolate color
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again to everyone for all their insight. PCGS has graded this coin as a F15 and it's currently at auction on GC ending tomorrow for anyone who might be interested. The grade caught me a bit by surprise and is what made me ask the question in the first place about how they were assigned when you had a possible striking or planchet issue such as this coin. Hope that everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9884 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F15 is a very conservative grade for that coin. It might be silently net graded for something we can't see or they snuck an EAC guy into the grading room!
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12606 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it sounds like PCGS net graded this one based on value. I think F15 is low value wise for this coin. maybe they knocked it for the reverse porosity
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70469 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good guess. Knockout example in any case.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sold yesterday for $1631 all in. Sounds like the market agreed with the consensus on this thread that F15 was a little too harsh of a grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1873 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful coin and as has been mentioned, and planchet/strike causing the weakness, not wear.

A side note. Many times if you see a coin with obvious wear that is uneven, check for a slight bend in the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 672Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: