Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acceptable Loss On A Victoria British Crown

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 502Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
316 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  3:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I bought my first crown today and it weighs 27.82 vs 28.28. I am not concerned with authenticity but nearly a half gram seems like significant loss. Nearly a half gram per coin on a stack of coins would net some significant difference in value when these circulated. Were these pulled from circulation when a certain amount of silver was lost through circulation? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks - R.

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10689 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were these pulled from circulation when a certain amount of silver was lost through circulation?

I don't think so. I've seen George III crowns of 1818-20 in extremely worn condition, with only the silhouette of the King's head and the vague outline of St George and the Dragon visible.
Valued Member
Italy
316 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks@numisrob. When these were weighed out was the difference made up with smaller silver coinage?
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10689 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When these were weighed out was the difference made up with smaller silver coinage?

I doubt it. I expect crowns were usually counted out individually when being paid out to customers: the denomination was not used all that much in circulation. I also doubt if the scales used by banks in the 19th century were as accurate as modern digital scales.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4532 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember that in that era, the silver coins were Token coinage-redeemable in gold-so that the actual loss was not so much of an issue in commerce. The loss on that piece was only about 2%, comparable to circulated US silver coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24588 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any red flags on this one being fake. My guess is it is genuine.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4128 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight is around 98 - 98.2% of full weight, which is about right for a coin in VG - Fine condition.

My experiments on coins weights and wear, show negligable loss down to VF, but rapid loss after that. Being a crown, such a coin would lose more weight quickly through sustained wear. My worst examples is a half crown in aGood condition weighing 12.46 grams or just 87.5% of the full weight of 14.13 grams.

I love COINS!!!
Learn More...
Australia
14516 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were these pulled from circulation when a certain amount of silver was lost through circulation? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Officially, yes. A coin was only legal tender if it fell within the prescribed weight tolerance (or "remedy", in British legal jargon) for that coin. If it fell outside of it - due to wear, corrosion, clipping or other damage - it ceased to be legal tender.

Under the Coinage Act of 1870, the remedy for a crown was 0.11781 grams, from an official weight of 28.27590 grams. So if a crown weighed less than 28.1617 grams, it technically ceased to be legal tender. So your coin, at 27.8 grams, is not a good'un any more.

It was the job of the banking system to return damaged, obsolete and underweight coin to the Mint for recoining.

In practice, whether this withdrawal was actually done depended on how likely the coin was to enter the halls of a bank, and how badly that bank needed to re-issue the coin for local commerce purposes. In the City? Sure, coins would be withdrawn all the time. Out in the countryside? Perhaps less so. In some hellish penal colony on the far side of the world? Definitely never. Which is why British coins that found their way to Australia and survived to this day are much more likely to be worn flat, compared with coins used in Britain proper.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Italy
316 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I appreciate the thread... Certainly adds to my enjoyment of the coin and base of knowledge.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: