Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Can I Not Get Ripped Off On Ebay?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,481Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  7:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

How can I determine a trustworthy coin seller and a not so truthful one? Mostly on Ebay.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Study coins and specific types, learn what counterfeits look like, and learn varieties.

You can also study the patterns of good, bad, and unexperienced sellers. Just because the seller doesn't know how to take good pictures of coins, doesn't mean he is untruthful.

All in all, educate yourself. If you don't feel comfortable buying something... don't. Make sure to note previous seller feedback, and return policies on their items.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

thanks!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more you learn about coins and grading the less you'll get taken for a ride on E-bay . Like everything else , put the time in and the experience will come . Read , and research the coins that interest you .
Before you pull the trigger on a coin you like study the sellers photos obverse and reverse over and over .Look up the sellers feedback and if he has anything bad against him . If all looks good and the price is what you're willing to pay then you might want to pull the trigger but it's your decision .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9288 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all above. Study-up, look at feedback and demonstrated 'performance' over time. If your gut says no, do not pull the trigger. Start with small stuff, don't be lured into spending hundreds or thousands of $$ on an item--unless you know exactly what you're getting.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Careful with juiced up photos! Sellers play with light all the time. Sometimes it's legit to show you the condition better, but sometimes bright light is used to cover up condition issues. This is totally anecdotal and my experience, but sellers that make wild claims about unsearched rolls of coins, use the word "enders," and use multiple color fonts of different sizes in their description seem like they're trying to distract you from what you're buying. When I sold on ebay I always mentioned that the coin pictured is the one that you are going to get-some sellers put up generic pictures of coins and they'll often let you know that this is a stock pic, but others times they won't. My main disappointment on ebay has been getting coins that don't look like the item pictured at all-while some sellers are super good about providing several pictures under different lighting to give you a good idea of what the coin looks like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9909 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can honestly say in over a thousand transactions on eBay over last 15 years I have been ripped off exactly once. Even that was partly my fault for not thoroughly reviewing a deceptive description. I could have returned it but it was a mea culpa I ate for about $50. Cheap tuition really.

In addition to the above advice feel free to post links to items you are interested in and we'll provide honest opinions. Good luck!
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have nothing to add to the advice already given, but will reiterate that education is the key; a knowledgable buyer will be less likely to be taken in by an unscrupulous seller. And I fully believe the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"...
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And I fully believe the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"...

I used to be in your shoes, but then I was surprised how many kooks were willing to give coins away. That is when you need to learn what an unexperienced seller is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opportunities abound on eBay, but know your subject and don't wander outside your field of experience.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had a few transactions on eBay where a much lower grade coin then shown was sent, once with a 1915 Canadian dime, the coin pictured was at least vf30 but what I received was more along vg8-f12. I messaged the seller and he said it me of his workers must have sent the wrong coin, I was reimbursed and told to keep the coin so I could not complain. The only other time I purchased a 1914 50cent piece(the photo and description stated it was 1914 but then in the description in the link it said it was 1916. The seller sent me a 1916 and I messaged them, once again they apologized for the mistake and told me to keep the 1916 and sent me the 1914 that was pictured, both times I offered to send back or pay for the other coin and was told not to worry about it.

So there is sellers out there that may try to do these things but in my experience they would rather have the good feedback then deal with a mistake in there part through eBay.

I have not made many eBay purchases, maybe 30-40 and have never had any issue with paying right at checkout, if I made the choice to hit buy I will pay for it, as for the bullion sales tax, it's a good thing I stopped buying in eBay a while ago because it seems they are trying to take any profit from the seller so the seller is inclined to up prices or to loose profits. eBay seems to be going down hill quickly.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

thanks everyone!!!!

Speaking of kooks, is there a "rule" about how much one lets the other person give their coins away? If it is too good, does one offer a fair price or just take what one can get? For me I think that it would depend on the seller.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me the prices paid for what I was supposed to receive were not far off, the 1915 dime I made a lowball offer and it was acceptable, but I was sent a coin worth around what I paid or less rather then what was advertised.

Imo it's 100% up to the seller to be transparent with the item they are selling and it's 100% up to the buyer to pay for what they received. Now if I received something completely different then what I paid for(weather or not it was to good to be true) then I will have an issue. If you offer something for sale and don't like what it sold for then that's just too bad... I'm speaking from a buyer stand point. If the deal was made it should be honoured, if the seller says keep the coins because they don't want a bad review that's not someone fishing for freebies, that's someone who got lied to or a mistake was made, in which case it's up to the seller to deal with said issue.

If you bought an ounce of gold and the seller sent you and ounce if silver and they messed up and said keep the silver and I'll send the proper product imo that's just good sales tactics. Either your ripping some people off and getting away with it while keeping your rating because they don't care enough to say anything or you made an honest mistake and are willing to say that and compensate for the issue.

In the end as a buyer it depends on experience, if you find a trusting buyer then stay with them, if they are willing to admit there mistake then why not give them another shot? I have stayed away from eBay for a while now but still lurk, I haven't actually purchased a coin in a few months and have never sold a coin so my opinion is pretty biased
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are buying bullion, it's safe to buy from the major well known eBay dealers, Liberty Coin, Bullion Exchanges, SD Bullion APMEX and others. These companies have been in business for a long time. Watch for their sales on their home pages too.

For older collectable coins there are also well known trusted sellers like David Lawrence, MBarr Coins and others. Some of them also have their own website. Some eBay sellers are collectors themselves and I tend to trust them. Buy from someone who allows returns/refunds IMO.

Use eBay advanced search to get a feel for what specific coins have sold for. Click the sold box, type in what coin you are looking for.
Edited by livingwater
07/03/2022 3:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2258 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the opportunity to buy a complete dansco collection on Ebay for about 1/3 retail price. First, the seller had the auction categorized under bullion, so it didn't get the traffic it needed. Second, they didn't picture all of the coins. I contacted the company outside of Ebay, got the pictures, and was ready to bid. Once I attempted to place a low bid, with seconds left on the auction, Ebay prevented me, and an error message came up. Apparently I was blocked from bidding for no reason, and there is nothing they could do about it. I would've won it, and it was a $1,500 potential loss.

I quickly contacted the seller and Ebay, and both said "welp, there is nothing we can do". Ebay customer service was terrible, I am not happy about their quality.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, don't shop at eBay would be a good start, but knowing the coin you are interested in and studying the coin for sale would be a good start too.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: