Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Presidential Medal Program

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 675Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting the Pres medals have em all from Washington to Taylor so far. Ther is the image of the President on the obverse of every one and on the reverse is the same thing on every coin (hands shaking and the words "Peace and Friendship". Well every coin except for one medal, the Harrison medal is very different on the obverse and especially the reverse.
Here's an example of the 'normal' obverse and reverse:

And now the Harrison medal:

Why is this the only one that is different from the rest?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is this the only one that is different from the rest?

It won't be the only one for long!

A few things to understand about the Mint's current silver Presidential Medals series:

1. The medals in the series are duplicates of the bronze medals previously issued by the Mint as part of its "Presidential Medals" series that was begun, on a large scale, in the 1860s - they are not new designs.

2. The bronze medals of the early presidents were, themselves, duplicates of the designs used on the silver friendship medals given to VIPs within Native American nations/tribes by US officials as part of peace negotiations; the original medals are commonly referred to as "Indian Peace Medals." Not all of the original Peace medals were circular, and not all of them featured the shaking hands reverse design - the Mint "standardized" the medals a bit when it launched its bronze medal series for sale to the public.

3. Not all of the bronze medals in the Presidential series have the "Peace and Friendship" reverse design - get ready for the multiple reverse designs that are on the horizon. Later issues in the series will focus their reverse designs on the president's inauguration - they should not, however, be confused with the official inauguration medals issued by the inauguration committee.

This is a broad topic - feel free to post additional, specific questions.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was a little surprised by the one and only design change..

The first, but not the last!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems sure knows his stuff!

I also have each of these and was curious about that one reverse. I thought maybe it was because he only lasted a month and didn't have time to promote peace and friendship
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11578 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I opted to not get into this series but I'm rethinking that decision. I realize some would need to be purchased on the secondary market.

The Washginton reverse reminds me of one of the Westward Journey nickels.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I myself started late too, I had to get Washington - Jackson on the secondary market. BUT the prices were the same as or less than the mints current release prices, now of course, the prices at the beginning were probably less then todays prices, but the fact the after market is only keeping up with the mint, it is doable to get them all.
Learn More...
United States
114900 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few things to understand about the Mint's current silver Presidential Medals series:
Thank you for sharing.

This is a series I may take up some time. I do enjoy the silver medals that were included in the Coin & Chronicles sets.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are also among the last coins that include a nice clamshell case. I suspect that whenever their original supply of them for the series runs out that they will move to packaging that they now do with the ASEs
Learn More...
United States
114900 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is interesting. If I ever did start a set, they will be placed in a Dansco so the OGP is not really a concern for me. Still, others are right to be bothered by it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11578 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked and most of these are still available for purchase directly from the mint. Washington (not surprisingly) and Tyler (oddly) are the only ones I noticed that are on backorder.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Dearborn: Commems is right, take a look at the Millard Fillmore images that are now up on the USM site. The reverse is indeed starting to get more various.

Can't wait to get mine!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hey Dearborn: Commems is right, take a look at the Millard Fillmore images

Well good to see the mint mixing it up a little. Thanks for pointing that out.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: