Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Removal Of Fingerprints From A 1951 Bronze Australian Halfpenny.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 412Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  11:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Another coin I'm not happy with is this 1951 PL halfpenny.
Not a bad looking coin for 71 years old, but seems like someone who handled this coin in the past left a fingerprint on both sides as both a memento and a challenge to me .
I gave it the obligatory soaking in acetone, but was too scared to apply a Qtip for fear of blemishing the tone of the piece.
A. Is there another method worth trying?
B. Concensus on whether it would be better to leave it as it is?
Thanks in advance, as always your comments and advice are appreciated.
Cheers TT

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Learn More...
Australia
14484 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Human fingerprint oil is high in sulfur-containing chemicals. These ornganosulfur compounds react quite quickly with lustrous copper, causing irreversible darkening as copper sulfide forms.

In other words, "you can't".

If you know that you've recently accidentally touched a coin with your finger, the fingerprint oil you just put there can be safely removed from the surface of a coin using acetone or similar solvents, before the chemical reaction can happen and the fingerprint becomes visible. But once the print "develops" and becomes visible, it's too late. Acetone won't help.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
6476 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper and bronze coins just don't seem to do well with restoration attempts. The natural luster and surfaces are just too sensitive to chemical assault.

I'd leave well enough alone and be happy with its current appearance.

Just my two-cents. Others may have differing opinions.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Human fingerprint oil is high in sulfur-containing chemicals. These ornganosulfur compounds react quite quickly with lustrous copper, causing irreversible darkening as copper sulfide forms.

Thanks Sap....always good to get the technical detail behind it.

Quote:
I'd leave well enough alone and be happy with its current appearance.

Thanks westernsky, that's the way I'm headed
Cheers TT
Edited by ttkoo
07/04/2022 6:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8889 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunate. Yes, I agree with Sap.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70101 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same. Leave it be.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
only when the print is very new and fresh can it be carefully removed, but they are like a stain on a white shirt, once it is set, it is permanent
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog, Dearborn and ijn1944.
Leaving it be
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4530 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only plus is that since you have the fingerprint you might be able to identify the culprit.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
195 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only plus is that since you have the fingerprint you might be able to identify the culprit.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 412Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: