Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Authentic Silver Roman Medallion ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 540Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  11:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this on ebay from a Spanish seller.The reverse is worn and looks like it was always blank..Maybe it is a token to enter the coliseum? Does this look authentic or a later copy https://www.ebay.com/itm/195178597015
Pillar of the Community
United States
6397 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the fake reports it's paired with an IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FELIX AVG obverse, and described as a modern fake of a Gordian III medallion.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks Bob. Looked ok but better to check first.

Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need to be careful buying ancient artifacts and coins, there are a lot of fakes. Fake artifacts/coins are made to sell to tourists and deceive collectors. They are pretty good at making arrowheads, knives, ammulets, idols, oil lamps, coins etc. look ancient. In Egypt there are shops where you can buy "ancient" items made recently. I see fakes on eBay so only buy from legit well known dealers.

Here's a pic from a shop near Ephesus taken by Ursula Kampmann in 2013 from a Coins Weekly article. It shows fake ancient coins for tourists to buy.

Edited by livingwater
07/04/2022 3:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted seller and he assures me everything he sells are detector finds.His other auctions seem to be authentic coins and artifacts. I compared this to other medallions and did not find any ones made of silver and the obverse is different than the Gordian III in the fake reports.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6397 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an exact match to a couple in the fake reports, but only cast on a single side, and filed extensively, perhaps for a jewelry setting.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19864 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair to consider that it is silver plated. If it is, then
copper bullion value only, unfortunately.

Most probably a 'copy' for sale to tourists.
Edited by sel_69l
07/04/2022 10:35 pm
Australia
20 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fairly certain its fake
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The top coin is the one from the fake reports and the bottom is the one I purchased. Seem to be different but I am not a expert.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6397 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the fake reports.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those 2 match the coin I have. I will return for a refund when I receive it. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1884 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And what are the odds of him finding two? He sold this one in mid-May

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 540Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: