Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could This Be My First Major Find! 1979 Quarter Struck On Silver Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 703Next Topic  

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Newbcoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Should I have tried a couple scales and it varies between 5.80 to 5.82 on the scale could this be something good....any help would be sweet

Learn More...
United States
24159 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@new,sorry but that seems pretty reasonable for a clad quarter to weigh. Silver quarters weighed more than 6 g.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Is the weight the only indicator that this could be a silver coin? Take a look at the reeded edge of the coin. Does the edge of the coin show a copper-colored layer at the center?
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
45 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbcoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay but let me ask y'all this is... Could it be a 40 percent silver planchet than... Because I came across this dude so I'm kinda confused.
Edited by Newbcoiner
07/06/2022 11:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a bit of the description from that auction.

Quote:
The edge lacks the red band customary for clad production.

Is the center of your coin copper color of gray?
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2807 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show as the rim please and also if is possible an very close of the coin surface at maximum x you can, to see the texture of the metal?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2807 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also if you have more information about clad Ag planchet please share here, I am interest on, or someone here. After I saw this treath I send an message to NGC to give me some feedback on. Transitional ? of what? Please I will be glad to know from you and promise will be included in my book for Quarters which I thing will be ready to be print in December.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From first glance, it doesn't look to be silver at all.

Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10670 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  03:47 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From first glance, it doesn't look to be silver at all.

The color and toning look like a standard cu-ni clad coin.
It's also unlikely that a stray 40% silver planchet would have been lying around in the Mint in 1979. One can understand how an error coin was produced in 1977 as the 40% planchets had been used for the NCLT silver Bicentennial quarters the previous year.
Edited by NumisRob
07/07/2022 03:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45698 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A photo of the edge might help. Also try the tissue test.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal clad quarter, not on a silver planchet, sorry.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70143 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2807 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I ask more information's it is in the way NumisRob explain. What NGC attribute it is an 1977 coin struck in the same period with silver clad halves.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This may not be what you thought; however, it is still cool.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19828 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver clad bicentennial quarters should weigh 5.75 grams
That weight is between 6.25 grams for .900 silver Quarters, and 5.67 grams for Cu-Ni clad Quarters.

XRF should confirm either way if there is silver in the surface layer.
If it was a standard Cu Ni clad and silver plated, the core would not show through at the edge.

Therefore, to be genuine, it would have to be positive to silver and show the copper core.

I have to admit, I don't know what sort of inferences I can make with the weight at 5.81 +- .01 grams, with the assumption that the weight is accurate.
?Is the +.06 grams within tolerance for silver clad Bicentennial Quarters?

From the pictures, with other comments about color.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 703Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: