Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Monster Cherrypick! Judd-300 Proof Indian Head Cent! Always Look At The 3RD Side Of The Coin!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 7,472Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! Quite a find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With new pictures comes new opinion on grade.

Minimum 64 with a shot at 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I reached out to Rick Snow and I will be sending the coin to him. He will give his advice of if the coin will benefit from PCGS restoration and he will submit it to them for me. He still estimated that a total of around 10 coins were struck in MS and PF format combined, with population reports skewed with resubmissions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: Rick is submitting the coin for me. He agrees this coin is genuine, and in his census this is coin 10th known across all proofs and MS coins. However, looking at pictures of previous auctions, I think the number is slightly higher. I'm still super excited about this one! This is an extremely rare coin and being at the right place.at the right time.with the right knowledge, puts a smile on my face!
Edited by RedRaider
07/27/2022 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news after good news!! I am excited to see the grading results. Thank you for filling us in throughout the journey.

Quote:
10th known across all proofs and MS coins

MS coins? Did they make reeded edge business strike patterns?
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular find! Congrats.
Learn More...
United States
26054 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
being at the right place.at the right time.with the right knowledge, puts a smile on my face!

Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1409 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations once again on an incredible find!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5844 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, huge congratulations on a cherry-pick that deserves all the attention! I really look forward to seeing the results on this one. I'm curious if you also asked Rick Snow to include an Eagle Eye Photo Seal with the coin?

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the coin gets graded and if Rick agrees with the grade, he will Photoseal it.

According to Rick, he knows of 3 MS examples of the J300.

I sent him some other coins to Photoseal, one being a PF64BN 1864 Indian Head cent. Rick identified it as a thick planchet in the NGC slab, so it's either a CN, or another pattern (Judd-356a). Didn't even know that it was a thick planchet. Will be interesting to see the metal testing on that one. Slim chance that I had another pattern in there that I was unaware of. Most likely it is a CN, but metal testing will decide that one.
Edited by RedRaider
07/28/2022 5:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4231 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Zurie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, that's an amazing cherrypick! If your 1864 also turns out to be a pattern, it will be time to start an IHC pattern collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man....this story just got a lot better. It will need its own new thread. The 1864 PF64BN I sent to Rick was metal tested and came back with an entirely new metal composition under the Judd-356 pattern, (potentially J-356c). I'm shocked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way, that's amazing!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2055 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That's amazing! Makes me wonder how many more of these are out there, waiting to be discovered from any environment... An old tin of Grandma's/Gramps coins, an antique store with an undiscovered type, a professional coin dealer inadvertently having one in their possession, this list of possibilities are everywhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WoW !!!
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 7,472Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: