Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: Question & Answer #05 - So Many Commemorative Coins In The 1930's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 545Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8279 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  07:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In a previous discussion of the many commemorative coin bills introduced in Congress in 1937, it was asked:

Quote:
Why were there so many bills regarding the minting of commemorative half dollars introduced? Did the Government just have more dispensable income?

As each of the commemorative bills introduced in Congress was done so on behalf of a private sponsor, it wasn't a matter of the Federal Government having "extra" funds. In reality, it was mostly a combination of inflated local pride and greed by private citizens (and sometimes coin dealers).

The coin bills were introduced with the hope that Congress would authorize a coin to be struck on behalf of a local private group/sponsor. The sponsor would pay the Mint face value for the coins and then sell them to collectors or other interested souvenir seekers for $1.00 to $2.00 (typically) to raise funds for their local celebration.

In the mid-1930s, Congress was inundated with commemorative coin bills, with an increasing number of them being for very local events vs. those of true national significance. After approving 20+ of such bills, Congress finally had enough and let most new bills die in Committee. This Congressional inaction helped hasten the end of an era in our coinage history - a time when the US Mint was forced to strike a large number of "souvenir coins" in addition to meeting our nation's circulating coinage needs.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
07/22/2022 07:39 am
Learn More...
United States
116508 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting!

Imagine how bad it could be now if they had not pumped the brakes back then.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8429 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank God they stopped it back then.

I used to like an occasional special issue form Canada, but once the RCM started making a new coin for every time HM The Queen sneezes, I lost interest rapidly.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8086 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only shudder in horror if I was forced to collect each of commems 'what if' classic series coins - I believe his reporting is up to about 102 or so examples.

Imagine if we had a 152 or so coin classic silver type set!
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
116508 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am sure there would be a few who would still appreciate it. We will never know for sure though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8279 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2022  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Such a number makes me wonder if I would have even started a US commemorative coin collection. My collecting life might have gone in a very different direction if faced with such a large number of types (and I know from the info I've gathered that 152 is an underestimate!).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit surprising to me, actually. Considering that the country was still suffering from the after-effects of the Great Depression. I cannot imagine people having a lot of discretionary income to purchase coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8279 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A bit surprising to me, actually. Considering that the country was still suffering from the after-effects of the Great Depression. I cannot imagine people having a lot of discretionary income to purchase coins.

Remember, no matter how difficult the times, there are always people with money/discretionary income.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: