Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help ID May Be Israel? (Id: Israeli Shalom Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  9:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Muncie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure that it's even a coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1419 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2022  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is Israel.
I remember a coin somewhat like this having a "trick date".
Don't recall if this is one of those or just an ordinary piece.
Learn More...
Australia
14634 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed from Israel, but it isn't actually a coin - though it does look like one, which is presumably the intent.

It very closely resembles a 1 agorah coin from the 1980-1985 series - compare with the Numista example. The obverse design is very similar, only the palm tree has been replaced by an olive branch; the inscriptions, the name "Israel" in Hebrew and Arabic, are identical to that on a genuine coin. And the other side, instead of saying "1 agorah hadashah" (1 new agora), your item says "1 shalom". In Hebrew, "shalom" means "peace", and is also used as a greeting, like "hello". It does not bear a date, though the style of coin it imitates no doubt indicates the manufacturing date range.

I do not know who issued these "1 shalom" tokens or exactly what they mean - which meaning of "shalom" is intended; the deliberate substitution of an olive branch on the obverse tells me the "peace" meaning is most likely.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Greece
4 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Audacious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: