Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 D Thomas Jefferson Gold Dollar Missing Gold Layer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  5:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I searched a bag of gold dollars and came across this coin. At first I thought it was plated, after taking a second look I see no evidence of plating. It appears the gold layer is gone. There are areas of the coin on the lettering that gold color is intact. What do you all think?

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Learn More...
United States
24814 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight on this one @arby?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2836 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like an impaired proof
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bet is on plating, but a weight should tell us more.

The actual core should be pure copper.
Edited by halfamind
08/03/2022 6:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I look again, the fact that golden color is showing on the high points suggests it was thinly plated (science experiment?) and sent back into circulation, with wear starting to reveal the natural color again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a Sac, dollar and used my zooltool to attempt to duplicate that thought. I just used the Rim of the coin and learned there is a silver colored layer under the gold layer. If someone buffed off the gold layer I believe there would be more evidence of buffing, Here is the photo of the buffed off edge. Under the microscope it clearly shows 3 layers on a gold dollar. I don't see the usual mirco bubbles I have seen on other plated coins on the obverse and reverse.
Not stating you all are not correct. Based on this experiment there is no way someone buffed off the gold layer. IF it were buffed it would show evidence on the coin. Plated still an option. Investigation continues. Coin Weighs 8.1 grams. I weighed it 5 times 3 out of 5 times it came to 8.1. Weights 7.9, 8.1, 8.0, 8.1, 8.1 so I went with the last weight.

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if you applied heat to this coin in a gentle manner if you could melt the plating of it with out showing signs of heat damage
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59663 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The weight is normal. I'm thinking it was plated. Is that same color on the faces of the coin, the same on the edge. If so it was altered. The surface looks too shiny for a normal coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/03/2022 7:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I decided to rub on the Reverse edge of the coin with a plastic sanding file, which I hate to do, because I didn't want to damage it more. and It showed a gold layer under the Plating. Yes upon further investigation I believe this is a plated coin. Darn I thought for sure I would see those micro bubbles on a plated coin. Learning every day. So all of you who stated this is PMD Plating. Pat yourselfs on the back. Good Job. Just keeping you all on your toes.

"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59663 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some cheaper plated coins look pretty bad. That was what I noticed about your coin. On the good plated ones they use a three step program of plating. Copper, then Nickel and then Steel. This was how they would re-chrome parts for cars before the plated plastic and chrome tape was being used. They they had a nice depth to them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arby96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, another learning experience.
"LOVE THE HUNT!"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11118 Posts
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, plated normal coin.
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are also known to have platinum plated versions released, perhaps later placed into circulation.

HERE IS A NEAT OFFERING FROM THE FIRST YEAR OF THE " Presidential dollar SERIES". AN OFFERING ORIGINALLY SOLD THROUGH COLLECTOR'S ALLIANCE, INC.' EACH SET INDIVIDUALLY PACKAGED IN HARD PLASTIC HOLDER WITH INFORMATION ON THE COINS AS WELL AND PROTECTIVE FOLDER. THESE COINS ARE STRUCK IN THE TYPICAL MANGANESE BRASS/CLAD COMPOSITION. EACH "SET" CONTAINS PHILADELPHIA AND DENVER MINTED ISSUES; ONE SET LAYERED IN PLATINUM, ONE IN 24K GOLD, AND ONE IN STANDARD UNCIRCULATED CONDITION. THE TYPE OF LAYERING, OR LACK OF, IS INDICATED BY THE COLOR OF THE CIRCLE AROUND WASHINGTON ON THE FRONT OF THE FOLDER.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: