Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013-S MT Rushmore Quarter - Non Proof?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 305Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
477 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add greenprint to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 2013-S Mt Rushmore Quarter in circulation but it looks like a normal business strike and does not look like a proof. As far as I know there were only proof finishes of this quarter. Which makes me wonder what I'm looking at here?

On the left is the quarter in question. On the right is another proof quarter from 2002 that I found in circulation. You can really tell the difference that the one from 2002 is defiantly proof, while the one on the left doesn't look like one at all.

Thanks for any help identifying my coin.

Edited by greenprint
08/04/2022 3:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
559 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Dave42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dave42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe starting in 2012, the mint did produce coins in San Francisco that were not proofs, but regular business strike quality. I don't know if these were put into circulation, or were part of a special set (someone else might know), but it appears you have one of those.

Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 2012, the U.S. Mint announc­ed that they would begin product­ion of America the Beautiful Quarter dollars at the San Francisco Mint. Their composition and finish would be identical to coins struck at Philadelphia and Denver for circulation, except of course they would bear the S Mint mark. These coins, however, would not be released into circulation, nor would they be included in annual Uncirculated Mint sets. Instead they would be available only in 40-coin rolls and 100-coin bags - the coins will be sold at numismatic premiums above face value. They are somewhat exotic in that they can't be found in circulation, and they are much scarcer than Philadelphia and Denver Mint issues, and even scarcer than the San Francisco Mint Proof issue. https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...remiums.html
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...-qualit.html
Edited by datadragon
08/04/2022 4:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds you've got a 2x2 worthy find there @green. Well done.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I look at your coin I see a D that has taken a hit not an S but I may be wrong the pictures are not all that sharp
Valued Member
United States
477 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add greenprint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I'm just now learning of this S non-proof varieties. Thanks a bunch.

I looked under a microscope, it's defiantly an S.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46589 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always remove coins from 2x2 holders before taking photos and flatten those staples.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11114 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, in 2012 the mint started minting 'business' strike quarters from San Francisco, but as far as I know, were not released out for circulation. So finding one in the wild is pretty neat.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: