Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-S LMC RPM-001 Bonus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 546Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a rather clean looking 1970 unc set at a local coin show, primarily to upgrade the half in my daughter's Kennedy album. When I looked at the other coins, I found I stumbled upon a bonus. Really nice RPM-001 on the large date cent. I've heard others have pulled this out of mint sets, but it's the first I've come across.

Sorry about the glare and the color in the photos. I haven't extracted this from the old pliofilm pack just yet.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59750 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The issue is glare off the coin condom.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1438 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9398 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, a nice find, yes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3304 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is definitely a bonus in that mint set. Congratulations.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If not mistaken, I believe the 70's mint set included a Denver KHD that was only minted for the sets [not for regular use] and some had the small date S cent [or the RPM].

https://mintsetguide.com/1970-mint-set/
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
08/07/2022 12:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice bonus RPM!
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777
Learn More...
United States
24845 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice bonusówell done @clad!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If not mistaken, I believe the 70's mint set included a Denver KHD that was only minted for the sets [not for regular use] and some had the small date S cent [or the RPM].

@CentSation, you are correct. It's the half that I went for. The dealer had this labeled as "large date" (which it is), so the price was not inflated. Had he looked closer...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11186 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find, congrats!
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup. I know they are mostly found in mint sets. I bought a BU roll a few years back, and found 6 or 7 of them in the roll.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3310 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Cladboy: I want to put you here the backbone of this how CONECA say RPM-001. What was and how happened. I will be short and First I mention the information's could be find in SF assay reports and the survey committee for this year.

Due to increase of request from Treasury Department for the Mint SF of more the 1 bill coins for 1970, for cents was 150 mill in PR and BS, at the end of the year the Mint at the begin of NOV, decided to reuse some of the Master Dies. According by the survey committee only one master die produce what VV say RPM. they explain was 4 different stages of re-engravement of the master die, and also say that from this master die only 32 working dies was produce in all stages. They also acknowledged that all coins has a dot on the letter C which is unidentified back of appearance or source..

So how many are ? unknow. Is sure at the end of the year 1970 they was short on delivery the proof and mint sets, so majority of those coins I expect to be find more in those sets.

Hope help you and others, Thanks share this interesting coin with rich hystory.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@silviosi Thanks for the backstory on this RPM. I appreciate what you share on this forum.

@Cujohn 6 or 7 in one BU roll? That's the mother lode. I am happy with just one. I do like this particular RPM because it is so noticeable without much magnification.

Thanks for allowing me to share, everybody.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3310 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cladboy: Thank you for appreciate the information. I hope many of our members here will read and understand how is work on Mint procedures. I hope more collectors in the way to understand and build the collections will understand is easy to say DDO or DDR or RPM us we percept, but do not check the back of those year's reports. Sure not everybody has access on, but ask for.

You to understand more: The Mint is aware of all those minimal errors or varieties. They accept to let go because like this the collecting communities will still in life and for them is a good business.

In earlies years of modern era those was casual errors or varieties, then some are manufactured and also was done just to meet the goal of productions.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 546Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: