Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2011 Australian 20 Cent Crack From Hair Under Earlobe Similar Too The $2

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 702Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  09:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all found this 20 cent concerning the noticeable line
Through Queens head I hope yous enjoy the photos.

Formerly nancyc
Australia
5321 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing of note on this coin, no crack, no error, no variety, just a stain.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Edited by Nevol
08/07/2022 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe but the stain is covering the hairline cracks, or maybe you need too look at coin sidewaysfrom what I see there's a hairline crack & and where do you think yellowish
Oil stain come from
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well when I last seen metal being cut or extruded there's a yellowish oil on sheets before they extrude or cut and some oil can stay in or on metal also this may vary metal composition.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vary in metal composition.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof of cracked 20 cent.

I rest my case.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crack passing earring then fades too hairline crack to edge of coin.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1284 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hmm sorry would have to agree with nancy here just a scratch and not a die crack, or lamination flaw. You might want to take zoom up photos that are in focused as its offend very hard to spot die cracks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
436 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is hard to follow, but I don't think Allcoinage is referring to die cracks, but actual physical cracks in some coins after stamping.
He has a thought that the design of the queens head has an inherent weakness (a stress raiser so to speak) which runs from the chin, up to the bottom of the earlobe and then accross to the left hand end of the tiara/crown. It may not be those points exactly, but I think that is the gist of his theory. He has raised this in several other topics previously.
I have no idea if it is right or wrong, but as I've stated before, I am open to any idea until it is put to bed.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ttkoo that is what I'm addressing here about the weakness in that area, it could be a problem for ram mint if this isn't dealt with, I wouldn't care if I had an error coin or not
Learn More...
Australia
14672 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OIl doesn't "leak out of cracks" on a coin, because there's no oil inside a coin to leak out of. And the oil stains weren't transferred from the die, because again, a coin die is a solid chunk of metal, it can't crack and leak oil out of it onto a coin. Further, coin presses operate at such high speeds, they don't use "oil", they use high-temperature grease - which is why "grease-filled die" varieties are a thing.

The stains on your coin came from something outside of the coin - in other words, environmental damage.

It's possible that a PMD crack formed on the coin, after exposure to heat and/or chemicals. The coin was then dumped in the staining environment, and the stain stuck to the crack better than the rest of the coin. But all of that hapened to the coin long after it left the Mint. The RAM has no control over what might happen to a coin after it's finished making it, and certainly can't control how a coin will react when it comes into contact with a chemically hostile environment.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They get metal in sheets yes or no
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or does someone else cut them too shape and size of coins.
Learn More...
Australia
14672 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All Australian coin blanks are made in South Korea. They come already washed and rimmed, ready for striking.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
594 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Or is this a scratch too
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 702Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: